University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Dr. MS 2014
Moscow, ID 83844-2014
1080 W. 6th Street
Wallace Residence Center
Moscow, ID 83844-2014
Phone: (208) 885-5507
Fax: (208) 885-5904
Monday-Friday: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Connection Privilege Agreement
UI Residential Data Connection Privilege Agreement
An Ethernet connection is provided in your room as a privilege, not as a right. Along with the freedom of access our campus information infrastructure affords, comes the responsibility to be a good citizen. As with any community, the online community of which you are now a member cannot function without some sense of order. It is the responsibility of the connected resident to adhere to these and all University of Idaho policies. The voice, video, and data networks are for the use of UI students, faculty and staff members, and are to be used only for the educational, academic, and research purposes of the University. The university reserves the right to restrict access, availability of access, and the terms of this agreement at any time for any reason.
- You agree to comply with the University of Idaho Computer Use Policy (www.uidaho.edu/policy).
- You must install and regularly maintain a virus scanner on your computer.
- You understand that support personnel will not provide assistance for any computer that is not running a virus scanner that is not up to date with the manufacturer's recommended security patches or is running unlicensed or illegal software.
- You understand that you may not use any software or hardware designed to disrupt the security of the campus network or any devices attached to the network. Likewise, you understand that you may not engage in any activities designed to interrupt or intercept the network traffic of other users.
- You understand that it is contrary to network policy to use hubs, switches, routers, or wireless access points with the network port in your room or apartment.
- You understand you may not use university resources to support personal business interests and that you may not sell or provide access to university networks to outside concerns.
- All use of network-based games employing broadcast transmission packets (such as multi-user Doom, Descent. etc.) is discouraged. While appealing, these games generate massive network traffic that disrupts the activities of other users across the campus network. You will respect the priority of academic use of the network.
- You will not use your connection to engage in software piracy or copyright infringement.
- You understand you may not activate any type of shared file service or server that allows access to your personal computer by anyone other than yourself.
- You understand you are personally responsible for any activities originating from your network connection.
- You understand that the University of Idaho assumes no liability for data loss or equipment damage pursuant to your use of this data port.
- You understand that use of university information resources on campus is guided by the same principles and subject to the same sanctions as other campus activities. Violations of these principles will be reported to the appropriate campus judicial body. Sanctions for violations can include, but are not limited to, disconnection from the campus network, termination of your University Housing agreement (if applicable), disciplinary action by the University Judicial Council, and criminal prosecution by state or federal authorities.
- You understand that you have the right to your fair share of the campus network capacity. If you have reason to believe that another user or group of users is interfering with your access to the network, you will report the problem to the help desk and expect that the UI network administrators will investigate and, if necessary, take corrective action.
- UI reserves the right, and by using this connection you give permission to UI, to monitor traffic through your data connection for the purpose of checking compliance with this agreement.
Important wireless security note
If you use the campus wireless network, you should clearly understand that you will be transmitting your information and data through the public airwaves. If you are uncomfortable using a non-secure network, you are advised to refrain from using the campus wireless network. The University of Idaho assumes no responsibility for any data loss or the compromise of private or personally identifiable information such as passwords, credit card information or registration data resulting from your use of the wireless network.
Click to read the appropriate current and full Housing Handbook: University Housing Important Documents