Sponsor Prior Approval Requirements
Changes that typically require sponsor preapproval are as follows. These requests must be reviewed and authorized by the Office of Sponsored Programs and approved by an authorized official of the sponsoring agency, because they are typically in the form of a contractual amendment.
- A change to the period of performance (i.e., a request for an extension of time to complete the project)
- A change in status of any principal investigators, Co-PIs or named key personnel, including separation from the university, absence from the project of more than three months or a change in the proposed level of effort by more than 25 percent
- Changes to line-item budget amounts not falling within the authority prescribed by a sponsor (rebudgeting limits as per agreement or agency guidelines)
- A substantive change in scope of work
- Other items as noted in the specific agreement (e.g., some equipment purchases, sub-awards not initially proposed, carry-forward of prior budget period funding if limited by sponsor terms).
We recommend that you work closely with your program manager to keep him or her apprised of your progress. However, any issues that will require contractual amendments (time extensions, rebudgeting, change in PI, etc.) must be requested through OSP and be directed to the authorizing official at the agency. We therefore request that you not contact the authorizing official directly, so that they are not receiving information from multiple sources.
OSP has created sample letters for you to use to request sponsor approvals. These sample letters are available on the Forms page.
Travel plans, especially foreign travel, should be specified in your proposal. Foreign travel is generally subject to the provisions of the Fly America Act, which requires the use of U.S. carriers except under very specific circumstances. See additional information.