About the Herbarium
The University of Idaho Stillinger Herbarium is an international resource for research on the flora of Idaho and the Pacific Northwest. The Herbarium represents an archive of the diversity of Idaho vascular plants, non-vascular plants, lichens and fungi through space and time. The collections support research in plant systematics, evolution, ecology and floristics, and provide valuable documentation of the changes to our flora as we are faced with human environmental impacts, land use changes and a changing global climate.
The herbarium also supports multiple courses and we offer hands on botanical training for interested students through directed studies, volunteer and employment opportunities. Public service activities in the herbarium include plant identification, educational workshops and seminars.
At the Stillinger Herbarium, our mission is to:
- Document the flora of Idaho and the Pacific Northwest through space and time.
- Facilitate and support botanical research and education at the University of Idaho.
- Serve as a repository for voucher specimens from botanical research conducted at the University of Idaho.
- Serve as a reference for the identification of plant diversity.
- Provide access to the collections and their associated data for the scientific community and the public.