News & Correspondence
Application & Review Process
All current University of Idaho entities must apply through this process or will be deemed to be terminated at the end of the fiscal year 2011. Some exceptions will be made for named entities, such as The Martin Institute. A new entity can be created at any time during the academic year. The process for the creation of Level I entities is the responsibility of the relevant deans and department heads and may vary from unit to unit. Level II and III entities will undergo a more structured review and approval process. The approval process for the creation of Level II and III entities will vary only in the level of detail required in the strategic/business plan and the required level of final approval. The steps to be followed are:
- Preparation of a short white paper (< 5 pages, double spaced, 12 point type, .5” margins) that outlines the purpose and/or core activities of the entity, its goals, the key personnel, and justification for the proposed level of the entity. Suggestions for development of the whitepaper can be found at: www.uidaho.edu/institutesandcenters. Items to address in the paper include:
- Introduction and background;
- Purpose and/or core focus;
- Key factors; and
- Justification for proposed entity level (I, II or III).
- Review of white paper by dean(s), vice president for research and economic development and the provost and executive vice president. (Level II and III)
- Review of all proposed or continuing Level II and III entities by Provost’s Council and input on viability captured and available for vice presidential review.
- Decision to proceed or not is based on input from Provost’s Council and relevant administrators transmitted to applicants.
- Development of the Phase II Entity Plan is by invitation and is the result of an entity’s Phase I -White- paper being reviewed and approved. The formal entity plan is limited in size to 25 pages (8.5 X 11 pages, double-spaced, 12 point type, .5 inch margins). The plan includes strategic, operational and business components. Required topics for each plan component vary depending upon Entity Level (III, II, I). Please utilize the sets of questions provided for each topic to guide the creation of the plan. Detailed instructions for developing an entity plan are available under Full Proposal Guidelines.
- Review of plan (strategic and business) by relevant deans (Level II and III).
- Review by Provost’s Council (Level II and III).
- Review by the provost and executive vice president and the vice president for research and economic development (Level II and III).
- Possible review of panel of external experts (Level III).
- Final approval within University of Idaho:
- Review and approval of the president upon recommendation of the provost and executive vice president and the vice president for research and economic development (Level III); and
- Review and approval by relevant dean(s), the vice president for research and economic development and the provost and executive vice president (Level II).
- Formation of advisory committees (internal and external):
- Appointment of relevant deans and directors for Level II entities by the provost and executive vice president and the vice president for research and economic development; and
- Appointment of deans, director and external board members for Level III entities jointly by the provost and executive vice president and the vice president for research and economic development
- Preparation and submission of Notices of Intent (NOIs) to State Board of Education/Board of Regents of the University of Idaho, where appropriate.
- Implementation during Fiscal Year 2012, either at the start of the fiscal year or later, as appropriate given the need for completion of the NOI process.
Proposals for new entities may be submitted at any time and will be reviewed as they are submitted. The timeline for existing entities can be found here.