Contact Research

Office of Research

Office of Research & Economic Development
phone: 208-885-6689

Physical Location
Morrill Hall 105

Mailing Address
875 Perimeter Drive MS 3010
University of Idaho
Moscow, ID 83844-3010


An entity is the generic name for an institute, center, laboratory, etc., that is engaged in scholarship and creative activities (FSH 1565 C-2) in a defined area. It is not an academic unit and, therefore, is not responsible for academic degree programs although there may be strong affiliations.

A unit is the generic name for an administrative organizational structure that can be responsible for the creation, management and closure of an entity (e.g. college, school, office, department, etc.).

A responsible administrative official is the person to whom the entity reports. This could be, but is not limited to, a vice president, dean or chair.

A Level III entity will normally be called an institute and report to a vice president. Its region of activity will cross two or more disciplinary categories -- such as natural sciences, social sciences, humanities and applied professions -- and will draw resources from multiple internal units and include agencies and institutions external to the University. It will have an established internal advisory committee normally consisting of relevant deans which will advise and provide feedback on the activities of the entity. In addition there will be an external board to advise on strategic direction and potential funding sources.

A Level II entity will normally be called a center and report to a dean or deans. It is smaller in scope than a level III entity. Its activities will primarily reside in one or two colleges, although there may be participation from other colleges.

A Level I entity will normally exist wholly within a college, but should cross department lines. It will normally report to an academic administrator within a single college.