Continuing education units include all instructional and organizational learning experiences in organized formats that impart non-credit education to post-secondary level learners. Students may not receive continuing education units and academic credit for the same learning activity. Units are assigned based upon contact hours of participation; 10 contact hours equals 1 CEU. Regulation D-5 in the General Catalog describes continuing education units in detail.
CEU classes can be offered by academic departments as well as professional agencies that provide training seminars. CEU classes are designated as course number 001 under the corresponding academic subject. CEU's are often used by professionals for licensure and certification within their specific expertise.
How to Request a CEU Offering
- The academic department or agency offering the training completes the CEU Course Request form and submits it to the corresponding academic department at the university for approval.
- Once approved, via the college dean's signature, the form is submitted to the Registrar.
- The Registrar will generate a Course Registration Number (CRN) for the semester and notify the coordinator via email with a pre-filled CEU Registration form to be provided to participants.
*Note: if the same CEU is offered for more than one semester, or on a continuous basis, a CEU Course Request form must be submitted to each semester.
Registration and Awarding of CEU
- Each training participant who wishes to earn CEU must complete and submit a CEU Registration form to the Registrar along with the $25 course registration fee (plus any special fees charged by the offering department or agency). Registrations must be received by the Registrar as the class begins for those lasting more than one week and within one week after those lasting less than one week.
- After each participant is registered, the instructor or coordinator must enter a grade through VandalWeb to confirm satisfactory completion. Grades are due within 72 hours after end of the class.
- CEU classes will be recorded on the student's transcript upon completion; the university does not provide certificates of completion.
- Participants needing confirmation of CEU should request a copy of their official transcript.