Office of the Registrar

Phone: (208) 885-6731
Fax: (208) 885-9061
875 Perimeter Dr MS 4260
Moscow, ID 83844-4260

Office Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm*
Summer: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm*
Bruce M. Pitman Center, Room 119

*The Registrar's Office holds a bi-weekly staff meeting every other Tuesday. The office will open one hour later on those days.

Academic Certificates

The university offers Academic Certificates in various academic disciplines.  An academic certificate is a coherent body of work designed to reflect specialized expertise.  The following policies and procedures have been adopted to be be used by academic departments who wish to offer coursework leading to an academic certificate:

  • At least 12 credits of coursework.
  • Six of the required credits may be recognized for work completed at another regionally accredited institution.
  • The coursework must not be more than five years old unless it is being used in conjunction with the completion of a graduate degree.
  • Courses must be completed with grade of C or better unless otherwise specified (some certificates will require grades of B or better).
  • In order to enroll in 500-level courses, students must hold an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution with a 2.80 cumulative grade point average or be an eligible undergraduate senior (see Regulation B-8 and the College of Graduate Studies section in Part 3 of the Catalog).
The curricular requirements of the academic certificates can be found in the relevant department in Part 5 of the Catalog. 

Student Eligibility and Declaration

Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate students may pursue an Academic Certificate by contacting the academic department in which it is offered, and submitting a Change of Curriculum form to the Registrar. 

New students wishing to pursue Academic Certificates must apply for admission, either undergraduate or graduate depending on the academic certificate.

Non-Degree seeking students are not eligible to earn an Academic Certificate.

Student Completion

To apply for an academic certificate an application of completion must be submitted to the college in which the certificate is offered; see regulation O-3 in the Catalog for application deadlines.  The college will verify that the student has met the minimum criteria and will forward the application to the Registrar for confirmation.  A student must be in good academic standing to be awarded an academic certificate.  Completion of an academic certificate is recoded on the student's graduate or undergraduate transcript depending upon the level the certificate is offered at.  The Registrar will mail the Academic Certificate to the student approximately eight weeks after the end of the term.