Contact & Location
Office of Records Management
Student Union Building
PO Box 444247
Moscow, ID 83844-4247
Phone: (208) 885-2580
Current Hours of Operation
If you need access to the Records Center in the afternoons Tuesday through Friday, please call (208) 885-2580 and schedule a time to be sure someone will be available.
Legal Requirements on the University of Idaho
The retention of University records for minimum periods is mandated by state law (Idaho Codes §67-4126 and §67-4131 ) and University of Idaho policy (Administrative Procedures Manual 65.02 ). In addition, records that have intrinsic historic value must be transferred to the University of Idaho Archives when the retention period of the record has expired (Faculty–Staff Handbook 1470).
State Board of Education Retention Schedule
The University of Idaho uses the State Board of Education Retention Schedule. Note that the state schedules are divided into functional areas, and some searching will probably be required to find the most applicable record category.
Department Specific Retention Listing
The University of Idaho has a web-based tool that departments can use to identify and document the record series they use. This tool is located on Vandalweb, so a login is required.
Records Not Covered by the State Board of Education
Records Management is currently in the process of identifying records series that are not adequately described or not included in the State Board of Education retention schedule, in order to document them and have them included in the State schedule. If you have a records series or records that you don't believe are covered by the schedule please contact Records Management by email and we'll work with you to define a retention period for it.
Additional State of Idaho Records Management Resources
- State of Idaho Records Management Guide - for reference only.
- State Board of Education Agency Specific Retention Schedule - this schedule is aimed at state agencies overseen by the State Board. This is not generally used for University of Idaho records.
- Shredding consoles on the Moscow campus will be picked up on April 29, 2013
- Shredding consoles on the Moscow campus will be picked up on May 27, 2013. Requests to pick up extra boxes are due the Wednesday prior, May 22, 2013.
- Shredding consoles on the Moscow campus will be picked up on June 24, 2013. Requests to pick up extra boxes are due the Wednesday prior, June 19, 2013.
- Shredding consoles on the Moscow campus will be picked up on July 22, 2013. Requests to pick up extra boxes are due the Wednesday prior, July 17, 2013.
Boise, Caldwell, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Falls, and Post Falls Locations:
- Consoles will be picked up approximately every 4 weeks.
Other University of Idaho Locations:
- Please email email@example.com to schedule a pickup of materials for shredding.