If you receive a suspicious letter or package:
- Stop. Don't Handle.
- Isolate it immediately.
- Don't open, smell, or taste.
- Activate your emergency plan. Notify a supervisor.
If you suspect the mail or package contains a bomb (explosive), or radiological, biological, or chemical threat:
- Isolate area immediately.
- Call 911.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
Common features of suspicious mail or packages are:
- No return address.
- Restrictive markings.
- Sealed with tape.
- Misspelled words. Badly typed or written.
- Unknown powder or suspicious substance.
- Possibly mailed from a foreign country. Excessive postage.
- Oily stains, discolorations, crystallization on wrapper.
- Excessive tape.
- Strange odor.
- Incorrect title or addressed to title only.
- Rigid or bulky.
- Lopsided or uneven.
- Protruding wires.