When a hostile intruder is actively causing deadly harm or the threat of imminent deadly harm to people on the campus grounds, we recommend the following course of action:
- Run away from the threat if you can, as fast as you can. Do not run in a straight line, run in a zig-zag pattern. Keep vehicles, bushes, trees, and anything that could possibly block your view from the hostile person(s) while you are running.
- If you can get away from the immediate area of danger, summon help and warn others as quietly as possible without drawing attention to yourself.
- If you decide to hide, take into consideration the area for hiding. Is it a good hiding spot? Does it block the view from the intruder?
- If the person(s) are causing death or serious physical injury to others and you are unable to run or hide you may choose to play dead if other victims are around you.
- The last option you have if caught in an open area outside may be to fight back. Throw books, or anything you have to stun the intruder and try to take him/her down.
- Once the police arrive, obey all commands. They won't know you from the bad person, so put your hands up and keep them so the officers can see them at all times. This is done for safety reasons and once circumstances are evaluated by the police, they will give you further directions.