The University of Idaho will host thousands of visitors for the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival Feb. 25-28, and many will be transported via bus or van. Due to the high amount of vehicular traffic and pedestrians on campus, some streets and parking lots will have restrictions during the festival.
Daytime visitors may purchase a Visitor permit in our office, inside the Intermodal Transit Center on the corner of Sweet Avenue and Railroad Street. Visitors permits are also available for purchase online.
Traffic and parking restrictions during the festival include:
Deakin Avenue and Student Union Building Parking
- The number of vehicles on Deakin Avenue in front of the Student Union Building and Bookstore will be limited.
- Deakin Avenue will be converted to a one-way southbound street from Sixth Street to University Avenue between 6 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 26, Friday, Feb. 27, and Saturday, Feb. 28. The street may be closed entirely to accommodate buses during high traffic loading and unloading times.
- The VandalStore and Post Office will be accessible from behind the VandalStore building via College and Railroad Avenues. The entrance on Deakin Avenue will be closed.
- The SMART Transit busses and the Vandal Access Shuttle will not stop on Deakin Avenue on Thursday, Feb. 27 or Friday, Feb. 28, due to Deakin Avenue being converted to a one-way southbound street. Both transit providers will continue to stop at Railroad Street at the Intermodal Transit Center building on Thursday and Friday; all connections to local transit can be made at that location.
- Portions of the Student Union Building parking lot will be closed each day of the festival.
ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center Parking
- The blue gravel lot 57, west of the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center, will be reserved for bus parking only Thursday, Feb. 26 – Saturday, Feb. 28, and closed to all regular vehicles.
- The red paved lot 34, west of the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center, will be available for general parking and no permit will be required Thursday, Feb. 26 – Saturday, Feb. 28.
- The red parking lot 24, west of the Law School Building, will be reserved for Jazz Festival permit holders only after 5 p.m. Friday, Feb. 27, and Saturday, Feb. 28.
- The large graveled area (lot 110) north of lot 57, will be general parking for regular vehicles Friday, Feb. 27, and Saturday, Feb. 28; no bus parking allowed in this area.
- The gold lot 31, east of the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center, will be closed to gold permit holders and reserved after 12 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 26, and Friday, Feb. 27. The lot is reserved all day Saturday, Feb. 28.
Bus Loading Zones
- Deakin Avenue at the Student Union Building.
- Railroad Street behind the LDS Center.
- Blake Avenue at the Lionel Hampton School of Music / Haddock Hall.
- Rayburn Street at Memorial Gym and Agricultural Science Building.
- University Avenue and Line Street at the Idaho Commons Building.
- Stadium Drive near the Hartung Theatre.
- Main Street between Fifth and Sixth Streets.
For questions regarding parking lot or street closures on campus, contact University of Idaho Parking and Transportation Services at (208) 885-6424.