Parking and Transportation Services has recently installed 68 new card and coin accepting parking meters on campus in order to provide more parking payment options for customers and improved service. These state-of-the art meters are solar powered and gather valuable data about parking occupancy. This information allows PTS to effectively manage pricing, enforcement times and max parking times according to the specific campus demand.
What are the step-by-step instructions for using the SmartMeters?
What are the benefits of the SmartMeters?
- Increased options and convenience for our customers: SmartMeters allow both credit/debit card payment, as well as coin.
- Improved customer experience, improved functionality: The previous campus meters were 10-15 years old and experienced failures and coin reading errors.
- Reduced costs and sustainable power source: The previous meters used 1 or 2 9-volt batteries, the SmartMeters use solar power to recharge batteries, and allow for reduced time and material costs incurred to replace meters multiple times per year.
- Advanced technology allows for improved financial auditing.
- Improved management of meter parking: New meters come with a web based data management system that will allow PTS to instantly access extensive reporting tools and gain better understanding of parking trends in order to manage accordingly.
- Web based system allows for real-time communications and updates on the meters for prices, enforcement hours and display messages.
- Simple, low cost installation: No need for costly retrofitting or meter post removal, new meters were installed by PTS employees and simply placed on existing posts.
Is credit/debit card information secured?
- Yes, the meters and process center is Level 1PCI-DSS certified. No credit card data is retained in the meter.
Have the meter rates and/or parking times changed with the installation of the new meters?
- The SmartMeters will be $1.25 per hour from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m., and $0.75 per hour from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday
- PTS will monitor usage of the meters and hourly rates will be determined based on demand.
- The new meters require payment from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., Monday through Friday, initially there will be no limits on the amount of time purchased by an individual at one time (an individual may pay to park in the same space for the entire day), but limitations on parking time will be adjusted to meet demand.