Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402


Issuing/Managing Subawards

  • What kind of work requires issuance of a subaward?

    When substantive programmatic work is going to be done by another institution or company (not an individual) then a subaward should be issued by the University to contract for that work.

  • When do I need to identify the need for a subaward?
    The need to have programmatic work performed by another institution or company should ideally be determined and identified prior to your proposal submission.  In the event that the need for a subaward is identified after the prime award has been issued, you must request prior approval from the sponsoring agency through the Office of Sponsored Programs.  A sample request letter is on the Forms page.
  • When can the subaward(s) be issued?

    Subawards to a third party cannot be issued until the prime award to the University of Idaho is fully executed and the UI budget has been set up in Banner.

  • Who starts the subaward issuance process?
    The process is started when the departmental grant administrator, at the request of the principal investigator, completes a Subaward Request Form and generates a requisition (REQ) in Banner. The Subaward Request Form should be forwarded to the OSP Contract Review Unit, who will review and process it while the requisition is processing through the Banner approval queue.
  • Who processes subcontract invoices?

    Invoices from the subcontractor will be sent to the department financial contact for processing.  Departmental processing should include confirming and having PI date and sign that the indicated work has been completed; identification of the budget and expense code (E5171 or E5172) to be used; and forwarding the invoice to OSP (Campus Zip 3020 Attn: Wendy Kerr) for review prior to going to Accounts Payable for payment.

  • What are my responsibilities with regard to monitoring subawards?
    OSP has prepared a checklist for the things the department/PI should be monitoring during the life of the award.  Please review the Subaward Checklist for more information.
  • How do I amend a subaward?
    Request for Subaward Amendment Form must be completed and forwarded to the OSP Contract Negotiation Unit and, if additional funding is being added then a change order must also be completed prior to the amendment being issued.