Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814


Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402


Effort Reporting and PARs

  • What is effort reporting?

    Effort reporting is the mechanism used to confirm that salaries and wages charged to each sponsored agreement are reasonable in relation to the actual work performed. Certification of an effort report must reasonably reflect the activity for which the employee is compensated by the institution. Cost sharing commitments must also be confirmed, either through the effort report, or through some other reporting mechanism.

  • Why must effort be certified?

    Federal regulations require that institutions receiving federal awards maintain systems and procedures documenting the distribution of activity, and associated payroll charges, to each individual sponsored agreement.

  • Who is required to report effort?

    Any person paid (or with a commitment) on a federally sponsored award must certify that the salary paid (or the commitment) is reasonable in relation to the effort (activity) devoted to the award. While it is preferred that the individual faculty or staff member report his/her own effort, if necessary a "responsible person with/using suitable means of verification that the work was performed" may report for the individual.

  • How do I complete my Personnel Activity Report (PAR)?
    Instructions for completing your PAR are located in the training tab of the OSP website.
  • When are effort reports due?
    For faculty and professional staff the reports must be completed each academic term.  For other employees the reports must be completed monthly.  A calendar of Personnel Activity Report (PAR) due dates is provided on both the training and the forms tab of the OSP website.  Please contact osp-cost@uidaho.edu if you have additional questions.
  • What should I do if I need to change the effort being reported?
    As soon as you determine that your payroll has been incorrectly charged to a budget you should notify your departmental payroll administrator to initiate a payroll cost transfer. You should also notify the Office of Sponsored Programs at osp-cost@uidaho.edu to reset you PAR once the payroll cost transfer has posted so that you can complete the re-certification of effort.