The Ombuds Office
phone: 208-885-7668
fax: 208-885-8947
Carol Ryrie Brink Hall, G-4
University of Idaho
PO Box 441106
Moscow, ID 83844-1106


Phone: 208-885-6111
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: 208-885-9119
Student Union Building
875 Perimeter Drive MS 4264
Moscow, ID 83844-4264


Phone: 208-334-2999
Fax: 208-364-4035
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702

Coeur d'Alene

Phone: 208-667-2588
Toll-free: 888-208-2268
Fax: 208-664-1272
1031 N. Academic Way,
Suite 242
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814

Idaho Falls

Phone: 208-282-7900
Fax: 208-282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, ID 83402

Pond with Trees

How an Ombuds Helps

There may be certain matters you wish to explore "off the record" or for which you need information or informal advice. There may also be issues that, despite your best efforts, have not been satisfactorily addressed or resolved. An Ombuds helps parties work collaboratively whenever possible to resolve their issues or differences and maintain or restore their relationship. The Ombuds will

      • Provide a safe place to share confidences
      • Listen carefully and actively seek to understand your concerns, as you experience them
      • Not criticize you
      • Help you analyze complex issues and difficult situations
      • Help you identify and clarify your needs and interests
      • Answer your questions, provide information
      • Refer you to other offices and services, when indicated
      • Explain policies and procedures related to your concerns
      • Help you identify options and potential solutions
      • Facilitate communication between two individuals or within larger groups.
      • Serve as a neutral party
      • Mediate disputes
      • Recommend changes in university policy or procedures to promote clarity and fairness.
      • Help in other ways as needed.

What the Ombuds cannot do

      • Takes sides in a dispute
      • Participate in formal processes
      • Make or reverse administrative decisions
      • Document issues or complaints
      • Serve as an office of report or receive notice on behalf of the university