To apply for the University of Idaho McNair Program, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be a University of Idaho undergraduate student
- Have achieved sophomore standing (26 credits)
- Have earned at least a cumulative GPA of 3.00
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a first generation college student from a low-income background OR
- Belong to a group underrepresented in doctoral studies (see definition below)
- Be interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
First Generation: Neither parent/guardian has earned a Bachelor's degree. If your parent/guardian has an Associate's degree, you're still considered first generation. Siblings do not count.
Low Income: This means you or your family make less than 150% of poverty level. Please see McNair staff for details on calculating your low income status.
Underrepresented: Our federal regulations define this as American Indian/Alaska Native, African American, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, Native Hawaiian.