McNair Eligibility Basics
- Be a University of Idaho undergraduate student
- Have achieved sophomore standing (26 credits)
- Have earned at least a cumulative GPA of 3.00
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Be a first generation college student from a low-income background OR
- Belong to a group underrepresented in doctoral studies (see definition below)
- Be interested in pursuing a Ph.D.
First Generation: Neither parent/guardian has earned a Bachelor's degree. If your parent/guardian has an Associate's degree, you're still considered first generation. Siblings do not count.
Low Income: This means you or your family make less than 150% of poverty level. Please see McNair staff for details on calculating your low income status.
Underrepresented: Our federal regulations define this as American Indian/Alaska Native, African American, Hispanic, Pacific Islander, Native Hawaiian.
The key component of the McNair Program is the Summer Research Internship.
Learn About Research Internships
The undergraduate research experience is considered an effective educational tool for enhancing many aspects of the student experience.