About The Award
The Legacy of Leading Award was developed to honor individuals who exemplify the University of Idaho’s leadership qualities and have made significant contributions in leadership to their communities, the state of Idaho or society in general. The bronze award is exceptionally beautiful and full of symbolic meaning reflective of the University’s legacy and future. The two towers that stand tall on either side of the sculpture are replicas of the Administration Building towers – each brick was outlined from the original blueprints and was then carved to scale into the mold by laser. Part of the most recognizable building on campus, the towers epitomize the longstanding tradition of excellence here at the University.
Another tower and campus icon is symbolized by the vertical and horizontal lines on the front panel of the piece – the Library clock tower. These lines represent the multitude of disciplines studied here and, where the lines intersect, signify the University’s commitment to cross-disciplinary efforts.
The clock on the front is a model of the Administration Building clock and is set to 1:30, signifying the date a charter was signed – January 30, 1889 – establishing Idaho’s only land grant institution and bringing the University of Idaho into existence.
Symbolizing the beautiful residential campus in Moscow, a molding of the Archie Phinney Building was taken and forms the rear panel of the sculpture.
The award is mounted on two blocks of wood – the base is sturdy black walnut, representing the University’s first commitment to provide a solid educational foundation. The second layer is carved from a rare Camperdown Elm, a revered symbol of the Moscow campus planted at the University in 1917, and it symbolizes the rich tradition of Idaho.