Welcome to the fall semester course in Professional Responsibility (Course No. 962). With relatively few exceptions, our classes will be conducted in Room 103 at 9:30 – 10:20 a.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. One of those exceptions will occur this coming Monday (August 25), when I will be in Boise for events related to the Snake River Basin Adjudication and the visit by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia. As the Dean’s Office has informed you, Justice Scalia will hold a conversation with Idaho law students in which Moscow students may participate by video connection from our courtroom. I encourage you to do so. The following Monday (September 1) will be another exception: Labor Day.
A course syllabus will be distributed on or before our first class, on Wednesday, August 27. Here are the reading assignments for the class on that day and the class on Friday, August 29:
- Article on Professionalism
- Idaho “Standards for Civility in Professional Conduct” (pdf)
- Dzienkowski, Professional Responsibility Standards, Rules & Statutes (2014-15 edition) – “2014 American Bar Association Model Rules of Professional Conduct” -- Preamble and Scope (pages 4-7), Model Rule 8.1 (page 92), and Model Rule 8.4 (pages 93-94)
- Lerman & Schrag, Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law (3rd edition) – “Preface” (pages xxxiii – xxxvii) and “Introduction” (pages 1-20)
- Lehrman & Schrag, Chapter 1 (pages 23-78)
- Dzienkowski, “Restatement (Third) of Law Governing Lawyers” – sections 1 and 2 (pages 590-593)