711 S. Rayburn Drive
College of Law
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2321
Moscow, ID 83844-2321
Navajo Nation Supreme Court
The University of Idaho College of Law is pleased to announce that the Supreme Court of the Navajo Nation will be sitting at the Menard Law Building, Law School Courtroom for oral argument on the morning of Thursday, March 21st from 9:30 a.m. to 10:45 a.m. The Court, consisting of Chief Justice Herb Yazzie, Associate Justice Eleanor Shirley, and Associate Justice by Designation William Platero, will hear oral argument in the case: Neptune Leasing, Inc. v. Mountain States Petroleum Corporation and Nacogdoches Oil and Gas, Inc., No. SC-CV-24-10. This will be a historic visit by the Navajo Nation Supreme Court which has jurisdiction over the largest tribal land base and population in the United States.
During the afternoon on Thursday, March 21st the Navajo Nation Justices will discuss “The Operations and Principles Guiding the Navajo Nation Supreme Court” in the Law School Courtroom from 1:30 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. Both of these sessions are open to the public. The Menard Law Building is located on the University of Idaho Moscow campus at 875 Perimeter Drive.
This event is possible through the sponsorship of: the law firm of Stoel Rives, LLP, University of Idaho Office of the President, University of Idaho Native American Tribal Liaison, University of Idaho Human Rights, Access and Inclusion, University of Idaho American Indian Studies Program, University of Idaho Native American Student Center, University of Idaho College of Law, and the University of Idaho College of Law student organizations: Native American Law Student Association (NALSA); the Environmental Law Society; the Women’s Law Caucus; and the Student Bar Association.
For more information, email Angelique EagleWoman.
Neptune Leasing, Inc. v. Mountain States Petroleum Corporation and Nacogdoches Oil and Gas, Inc.
- Case Overview by Professor EagleWoman
- Appellant Neptune, Inc's Notice of Appeal with Exhibit A certified copy of the District Court's Order to Dismiss, dated April 27, 2010
- Appellant Neptune, Inc.'s Opening Brief, dated June 21, 2010
- Appellee Nacogdoches Oil and Gas, Inc.'s Brief, dated July 27, 2010
- Amicus Brief by the Navajo Nation, dated February 22, 2013
- Appellant Neptune, Inc.'s Supplemental Brief, dated February 22, 2013
- Appellee Nacogdoches Oil and Gas, Inc.'s Supplemental Brief, dated February 22, 2013