711 S. Rayburn Drive
College of Law
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2321
Moscow, ID 83844-2321
Creating Careers with a Twist:
Rosholt Roundtable Features Alumni Who Parlay Law Degrees in Creative Ways
The John A. Rosholt Roundtable for Visiting Professionals brings distinguished graduates of the University of Idaho’s College of Law to campus to discuss a range of career options for those with law degrees.
Established in 2001 by water-law expert John ’59 ’64 and wife, Karen Rae (Fisher) Rosholt ’64, it features visiting guest speakers who deliver lectures and meet informally with students to answer questions.
“I’m looking for guests with a little flair,” Rosholt said. To date, speakers have included such trailblazers as one of the first 50 women admitted to the Idaho State Bar and the founder of an expedition company that offers rafting vacations on some of the West’s best white-water rivers.
Guests are chosen as examples of alumni who’ve used their law degrees as a foundation for leadership in their communities and in careers other than the traditional practice of law, said Donald Burnett, dean of the College of Law.
A list of guest speakers, arranged in descending order of appearances:
- 2011 Jerry Hughes, owner/operator of Hughes River Expeditions, an outfitting company offering rafting trips on such Western whitewater rivers as the Snake River through Hells Canyon, the Middle Fork of the Salmon River, the Salmon River Canyon and Oregon’s Wallowa and Grande Ronde
- 2010 Larry B. Grimes ’67, whose career included stints as a trial attorney for the U.S. Division of Enforcement of the Securities and Exchange Commission, Branch Chief of the SEC’s Organized Crime enforcement arm, corporate counsel to Westinghouse Electric Corp. and an attorney with the international law firm McGuire, Woods & Battle
- 2008 John Stellmon ’84, former president of Regence BlueShield of Idaho
- 2007 Stephen G. “Steve” Hanks ’78, former president and CEO of Washington Group International, Inc.
- 2005 Lucinda Weiss ’73, retired corporate counsel for Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. and one of the first 50 women admitted to the Idaho State Bar
- 2004 John S. Simko ’66, a partner at Moffatt Thomas Barrett Rock & Fields, CHTD., previously chairman and CEO of the Sunshine Mining and Refining Company
- 2002 James E. “Jim” Whistler ’73, first an officer and then managing partner of the Northwestern Mutual Financial Network
- 2001 James E. “Jim” Bruce ’49, who variously served as Idaho’s assistant attorney general, Ada County deputy prosecuting attorney, counsel for Idaho Power Co. and later its president, CEO and chairman.