711 S. Rayburn Drive
College of Law
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 2321
Moscow, ID 83844-2321
The externship program currently includes the following courses:
- Public Service Externship, Course 975 (.pdf)
- Public Service Externship, Course 973 (.pdf)
- Academic Year Legal Externship, Course 972 (.pdf)
- Semester in Practice, Course 976 (.pdf)
Each course of the externship program includes a field placement component that encompasses three aspects:
- Observation of, and immersion in, the day-to-day workings of a participating organization
- Professional interaction between the student and the field placement supervisor
- Involvement in specific legal problems and the resolution of those problems
Students perform research for and provide other law-related assistance to their field placement supervisor. The field placement supervisor must be a licensed attorney with at least five years post-bar experience, and is expected to complete a review of the student's fieldwork in the middle and at the conclusion of the placement.
The Semester in Practice course and the Public Service Externship (Classroom Credit) course supplement the field placement experiences of the student with a seminar.
First-year law students must have a 2.2 GPA or higher in their first semester to participate in the externship program.