Sophos antivirus is available for free to University of Idaho students, staff and faculty members to install on their work as well as personal machines. The following tutorial will guide you through the installation of Sophos antivirus on your Mac OS X machine.
- Before downloading the software, you will need to agree to the University of Idaho’s antivirus agreement. To do this, log in to our support site using your MyUidaho username and password.
- Once logged in, click University Software in the menu on the left, then click the UI Antivirus link. This will bring up the anti virus agreement — click the I agree button to gain access to download Sophos.
- To begin installation of the Sophos Antivirus Client on your Mac, verify that you meet the system requirements (Mac OS X 10.5+), and have downloaded the proper installation package (.dmg file) from the software page. Then double-click to begin.
- Double-click the icon titled “Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg” – the installation process will begin. Select “Continue” to confirm you would like to install the program and then select “Continue” again to begin the installation wizard.
- Next, the installation wizard will provide you with important information pertinent to installation. Please read the information carefully and continue.
- If the installation location is correct, you may proceed by selecting “Install” on the next screen. However, you may change the installation location by selecting “Change Install Location…” Highlight the drive and select “Continue. You will again need to confirm the location and select continue.
- You may be prompted to enter your computer password to begin the installation process; key in your password and select “OK” to continue:
- Once the installation begins, you will see several messages referring to what is being done to your system. A status bar near the middle of the messaging window will give you an idea of how fast the installation is running, and how much time is left. Once the installation has completed, you will receive a message stating, “The software was successfully installed”. Select “Close” to finish the installation:
Sophos will now be installed on your computer and will being passively scanning your machine.