Email headers contain information about the origins of the email. This is especially important when it comes to spam messages, as it allows ITS to block spam messages at the source. If you encounter a spam message, forward it, along with its email headers, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retrieving the email headers is slightly different on each email client. Below, we list instructions on how to pull full email headers from the most common email programs.
Finding headers in Microsoft Outlook 2010
To find the full email headers in Outlook 2010:
- Double-click on the message, opening the message in a new window.
- From the ribbon, be sure the Message tab is selected, then click the small box with the arrow next to the Tagsor Options section.
- The Properties window will open and display the email header.
- Send the email headers and a forwarded copy of the spam message to email@example.com.
Finding headers in Microsoft Outlook 2007
1. Right click on the message in question and click the message options item from the menu.
2. The message options window will open up. At the bottom of this windows, you will find the full email headers.