Joining your computer to Active Directory:
Most computers on the U of I network benefit from being joined to the Active Directory. ITS offers a simple way to connect to the AD using the Domain Joining Tool.
The domain joining tool offers the easiest way to connect your current computer to the AD. Simply download the tool and run it as an administrator of the computer – the tool does the rest.
Download the domain joining tool, entering your myUIdaho username and password when prompted, and be sure to run the program as an administrator on the computer.
The tool imports information from NMS into Active Directory so, if you’d like to use this tool, make sure your computer record in NMS is named properly. If you are experiencing trouble, or do not have access to NMS, please contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s an outline of what the tool does:
In addition, the script will check to see if the machine is already bound to a domain. If it is the script will exit.
- Ensure the logged in user has local administrative access.
- Compare all enumerated client MAC addresses with all computer objects in Active Directory.
- Rename the computer if they differ in AD and on the client computer.
- Reboot if necessary (for proper naming).
- Bind the computer to Active Directory.
- Add <computername>-ws-users and <computername>-ws-administrators to local Users and Administrators groups respectively.
- Delete AD Domain Admins from the local Users group.