Rebalancing Technology Investments
Technology plays an important role in fulfilling our mission and will be a critical component of our future success. One result of the Focus for the Future process was a recommendation to “consolidate select IT functions including technology/electronics purchases,” with a goal to have a plan created in 2014-2015.
The initiative that resulted from this recommendation is entitled “Rebalancing Technology Investments.” Rebalancing
refers to finding the optimal balance between distributed and central technology services in order to best use existing resources to meet current and future needs at both institutional and unit levels.
Rebalancing is not intended to centralize all technology personnel, budgets and activities. Instead, it is intended to reduce costs to provide current IT services, allow for improved planning of technology investments, reduce the risk from security and compliance issues, reduce the reliance on a single employee to provide key services, and provide new opportunities for technology employees to advance their skills and their careers while working for the UI. In order to accomplish these goals, it is very likely that some organizational, process and policy changes will be required and a thorough and inclusive analysis will provide the information we need to make the right decisions.
The initiative has the following goals:
- Improve service delivery
- Reduce costs to provide current technology services
- Provide new opportunities for technology employees to advance their skills and their careers while providing even better service to customers
- Coordinate institutional planning of technology investments
- Reduce the time to implement key initiatives
- Reduce risk from security vulnerabilities, compliance issues and reliance on individual employees
- Provide UI with a balanced technology portfolio that meets the overall needs of the institution while providing resources to individual units that allows them to drive initiatives to help UI achieve its goals.
Specific deliverables from the initiative will include:
- Prioritized list of technology projects to undertake
- Prioritized list of security and compliance related issues
- Proposal for the allocation of technology funding and personnel between units and ITS
- Recommendations for technology and support investments over the next 5 years
- Implementation of a new technology governance structure, including institutional project prioritization
- Metrics by which to measure the success of the rebalancing project
Timeline for the project is under revision. Please check back soon.