Important Insurance Information
While you are traveling it will be important that you have sufficient medical evacuation/repatriation insurance. Below are the suggested coverage amounts for international travel:
- Coverage oversees
- Sickness and accident coverage on a 24-hour basis
- Repatriation of Remains coverage of at least $50,000
- Emergency Medical Evacuation coverage of at least $100,000
- Lifetime max. benefit for accident or illness of at least $500,000
As a University of Idaho employee, you are automatically covered by the State of Idaho Foreign Insurance Program provided by ACE. As soon as we receive your travel registration, we will email you the State of Idaho Foreign Insurance Program policy information. If you are enrolled, there is also some international coverage provided by the University of Idaho employee insurance program through Blue Cross. However, neither the State of Idaho nor the Blue Cross international coverage are considered sufficient.
- For these reasons, we suggest that your department purchase supplemental insurance on your behalf for your international trip. You can search a variety of policies to meet different needs through http://www.insuremytrip.com. One good plan for medical evacuation and repatriation of remains that you'll find through this website is called "Take Me Home" and is provided by MedEx. It will evacuate you to the hospital of your choice nearest your home. Most other medical evacuation plans evacuate you to the hospital nearest to where you are that has the facilities you need. Depending on the kind of coverage you would like, you might find other policies that are more appropriate.
Also, please be aware that the following countries are excluded from the State of Idaho Foreign Insurance Program. If you must travel to one of these countries for approved University of Idaho business, it will be vital that international travel insurance is purchased on your behalf.
Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Brazil, Chad, Chechnya, Colombia, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Georgia, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Mexico, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, East Timor, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Trinidad & Tobago, Venezuela, Yemen, Zimbabwe.
Step by Step Guide to using http://www.insuremytrip.com
- On right hand side of screen, enter in all information
a. Search for "All Plans"
b. Enter trip cost, primary destination, departure and return dates, ages, state of residence, and citizenship
c. Click on Plans and Prices button
- Scroll down towards the bottom where it says "FrontierMedex- Take Me Home"
- You'll have the option for a single trip or a multiple trip
- Click "buy"
- Fill out details and payment information
a. Traveler full name and birth date, primary destination, suppliers/tour operators, traveler residence and traveler contact information
b. Click continue
c. Review the plan and enter credit card information
For your information, you can find Blue Cross providers abroad at here, however, many of these providers may not actually bill Blue Cross on your behalf. Also, BlueCross may not have the network or connections needed at the time of the illness or injury to provide sufficient medical, medical evacuation, or repatriation of remains services.