Specific information relating to maintaining lawful F-1 status may be found through the below links:
| Form I-94
| Passport Validity
| Program Length
| Grace Period
Maintaining status is the responsibility of every student. No student should expect the office of International Students, Scholars and Faculty Services (ISSFS) to monitor document expiration or to be independently notified of any changes impacting status. The ISSFS is obligated to inform the U.S. government through SEVIS
(Student and Exchange Visitor Information Services) of any changes to an F-1 student's status.
Students must notify the ISSFS if they experience any of the following:
- Address changes
- Change of major
- Degree level change
- Graduate earlier than end date on I-20
- Need additional time to complete their studies
- Change in OPT employment (optional practical training)
- Change in CPT employment (curricular practical training)
- Change in dependents
- Leaves of Absence - students must complete one full academic year before requesting a semester off (ALCP students must complete 5 full sessions)
- Medical Absences
- Any drops below full-time status
- 12 credit hours are required during spring/fall semester for undergraduates; 9 credit hours during spring/fall semester for graduates
- Students must be authorized by IPO to drop below full-time credit hours in Spring/Fall semesters
- Full-time enrollment during summer is required only if this semester is the first or last semester of enrollment (8 credits). No more than 3 credits can be online classes.
- F-1 students are not required to enroll in summer session if summer session is not their last semester (graduation date of August)
- Disciplinary action
- Felony convictions
Note that the above list is not necessarily comprehensive. Students should contact the ISSFS if there is any question about maintenance of status.
Students attending the University of Idaho are required to update their address within 10 days of moving. Send your new address to firstname.lastname@example.org and also update your address on VandalWeb.