The University of Idaho maintains file services available for intra and inter-department sharing called the “S: drive” or “shared space.” This space is not only provided for convenience but because it is centrally managed, audited, monitored and backed up it is required by University policy to place sensitive and confidential information there. As the space is shared and limited there are a few guidelines to follow when using the space.
Shared Drive Use FAQ
- Files you want to share within your department or with other departments at the university.
- All confidential information. Space can be set up so only you and select members of your department can access the files there. This is also a requirement from the Administrative Procedures Manual (APM). No sensitive data can be stored on a local computer.
- Temporary data. Do not use the system to temporarily store content. You may fill up the shared space and interrupt the work of others.
- System images or backups. Do not store OS images, system images or backups on the shared space. If possible use external storage for this type of data.
- Files not related to the university mission. These include non-work related music files, images, movies, etc.
The ITS Help Desk will proactively contact your department when space is limited to either review all of the existing content or to increase the amount of shared space. For additional information on the process contact the ITS Help Desk.