Academic Requirements

Academic Background:
All Graduate School applicants must possess the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor degree. For access to our  Equivalency and Required Academic Credentials by Country of Education page, please use the following link: 
Degree Equivalency and Required Academic Credentials Guide | Degree Equivalency FAQs

UI evaluates foreign courses and academic transcripts in terms of approximations. We will accept evaluations from professional credential evaluation services. A list of the five professional credential evaluation services from which the University of Idaho will accept evaluations can be found here.

Send official academic records from all post-secondary education institutions attended. All credentials written in any language other than English must be accompanied by an English translation certified as accurate by the institution.

In general, records should be received in a sealed envelope sent directly from the institution, bearing the original raised or colored seal and the signature of the sending institution's registrar or academic official (see specific academic credentials by country of education pages). This may take some time so please start this early in your application process.

In some instances unofficial records may be used to consider your application and are documents issued to the student. These may be considered official after further review.  If admission is recommended after review of unofficial documents, the official records of all course work to date will be required in order to grant admission, and degree confirmation will be required within the first term.

The University of Idaho reserves the right to request a professional evaluation of any academic credentials. The evaluation will be at the student's expense.

GPA Requirements:
Applicants must have a minimum overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 on a 4.00 grade scale equivalent to US Bachelor’s Degree. If your GPA meets the minimum admission requirements, the department of major will determine if your overall academic record and test scores meet department requirements.

Please note: If you do not meet the minimum 3.00 GPA, your application can be considered for admission if you:
  • have an undergraduate G.P.A. of 3.0 or higher for your last 60 semester credits or 90 quarter credits


  • have worked in the program specific profession for 5+ years
  • have a letter of support from a faculty member in the department
  • write a detailed statement/essay describing your professional experience and potential to succeed academically

Departmental Requirements:
Individual department requirements may be more rigorous than the general UI requirements. In those situations, final admission is based on the department's decision.

Degree Equivalency FAQs
  • What's the difference between an Undergraduate and Graduate student?
    An undergraduate student is someone who is pursuing a Bachelor's degree. A graduate student is someone who already has a U.S. Bachelor's degree or its equivalent and is pursuing either a Master's degree, a Specialist degree, or a Doctoral degree.
  • I have a 3-year Bachelor degree. Can I apply for a Master's degree at UI?
    Most 3-year Bachelor degrees are not recognized as being equivalent to a 4-year U.S. Bachelor degree and, therefore, are not recognized for admission to UI's Master degree programs. However, many 3-year degrees may be used towards earning a U.S. Bachelor Degree. Please contact us if you have any questions about your 3-year Bachelor degree.
  • I have a 3-year Bachelor degree. Can I take one year at UI and then enter the Master's program?
    No. In order to receive a U.S. degree, you must complete all of the courses that are required for the Bachelor's degree - this includes the basic general education courses that are required by all students, such as English, Science, Math, Fine Arts, etc. In addition to that, you must fulfill the major courses that are specified by your department. The time-frame allotted to complete the degree varies and depends on what subjects you studied in your country, what subjects you wish to study at UI, and how many classes you take per semester. Generally, it will take between 1½ - 3 years to complete the Bachelor's degree at UI.
  • How can I make my 3-year Bachelor degree equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor degree?
    There are a few things that you can do in your home country to gain U.S. Bachelor equivalency:
    • Graduate with an accredited Post-Graduate Diploma
    • Complete Part 1 of a 2-year Master's program (India)
    • Obtain a Master's degree
    However, these alternative equivalencies vary from country to country. If your sole purpose of enrolling in one of the above programs is to gain U.S. Bachelor equivalency, please check with us before you enroll so that we can verify that the program is recognized.
  • How do I know if my degree is recognized?
    We only recognize diplomas, certificates, and degrees that were completed at an accredited school, college, or university. Universities must be recognized as higher education institutions by the Ministry of Education in your home country in order for UI to recognize their accreditation.
  • How does my European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) compare to US Credits?
    European institutions are moving quickly to standardizing units of academic credit under the European Credit Transfer System.

    The National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Academic Credentials has provided the following information on the ECTS system.

    "ECTS credit has the following characteristics:
    • 1 ECTS credit represents between 24 and 30 hours.
    • ECTS credits are awarded only upon the completion of work and the assessment of that work.
    • Work may be completed through a variety of methods and is not expressed solely in terms of contact hours.

    Council recommendation:

    One ECTS credit is comparable to one half (.50) semester credit [.75 quarter credit] at a regionally accredited post-secondary institution in the United States."