|2014-2015 Strengthening Forest Stewardship Skills Events
All times are Pacific Standard or Daylight Savings Time.
For more specific information on these and other UI Extension Forestry programs in your locale, see the following contacts:
|Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, & Kootenai counties:
Chris Schnepf, Area Extension Educator - Forestry
University of Idaho Extension - Kootenai County Office
1808 North 3rd Street,
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Phone: (208) 446-1680
Bill Warren, Extension Educator –
Economic Development/Land Stewardship
University of Idaho Extension - Clearwater County Office
2200 Michigan Ave. Box E,
Orofino, ID 83544
Phone: (208) 476-4434
|All other Idaho counties:
Randy Brooks, Extension Forestry Specialist
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1140
Moscow, ID 83844-1140
Phone: (208) 885-6356
This multi-session program enriches family forest owners' basic understanding of forest management planning, forest ecology, silviculture, insects, disease, goal setting, record keeping, and other forest stewardship topics. (2 UI credits available).
- Priest River, ID. Six Friday mornings (June 12, 19, 26 & July 3, 10, 17, 2015) from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. West Bonner Library, 188 Main Street.
|Identifying Idaho's Trees
Learn to identify Idaho’s native forest trees and common shrubs. May be indoors or in the field.
- Sandpoint, Saturday, May 2, 2015 (9:00 AM to 1:00 PM)
|Conducting Your Own Timber Sale
A multi-week program to help landowners conduct their own timber sale or work with a consulting forester to do so.
|Forestry for Southern Idaho
This one-day workshop will introduce farmers, ranchers, and other forest owners to silviculture, forest insects and diseases, and thinning methods.
- McCall, Thursday, May 21, 2015
|Pruning to Restore White Pine
This program will help you to reduce white pine mortality from blister rust. It covers blister rust disease cycles and identification, and blister rust pruning methods.
- Moscow, Wednesday, June 10, 2015 (9:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
|Root Disease: The Hidden Menace
This workshop helps forest owners, loggers, and natural resource professionals identify, assess, and manage forests with root disease issues.
- Moscow, Thursday, June 11, 2015
|Thinning and Pruning Field Day
Includes 2-3 hours indoors, followed by a hands-on field tour to learn about forest growth, forest genetics, thinning, and pruning (IMFS).
- Sandpoint, Saturday, June 13, 2015 (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
|An Introduction to Forest Habitat Types
This program features a short introduction to conservation easements followed by a panel of representatives from public and private institutions that set up conservation easements and a landowner who has enrolled in one.
|Idaho FPA Stream Protection Twilight Tours
These field tours will to help people correctly implement the new Idaho Forest Practices Act (FPA) stream protection regulations.
- Moscow, Tuesday, June 30, 2015 (3:00 to 7:00 PM)
- Bonners Ferry, Thursday, July 9, 2015 (3:00 to 7:00 PM)
- St. Maries, Thursday, July 16, 2015 (3:00 to 7:00 PM)
|Forest Insects and Disease Field Day
A full day of first-hand contact with insects and diseases that affect forest growth and health, with discussions of related management strategies (IMFS).
|Using your GPS
Introduces participants to the science underlying Global Positioning Systems or “GPS”, followed by field exercises on basic GPS tasks.
- Bonners Ferry, Saturday, August 8, 2015 (8:00 AM to 12:00 PM)
|Restoring Idaho Streams
This program will introduce landowners to fundamentals of stream restoration with a field trip reviewing simple and more elaborate techniques to improve stream health, function and stability.
- Sandpoint, Friday, August 14, 2015 (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
|Strengthening Forest Stewardship Skills programs are supported in part by the Idaho Forest Stewardship Program, a cooperative effort of the following agencies and organizations:
- Idaho Department of Lands
- University of Idaho Extension
- U.S.D.A. Forest Service
- Idaho Forest Owners Association
- Idaho Tree Farm Program
- Consulting Foresters
- Idaho Association of Soil Conservation Districts
- U.S.D.A. Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Idaho Department of Fish and Game
- U.S.D.I. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Idaho Nature Conservancy
- Idaho Association of RC&D Councils
- Intermountain Forest Association
- Nez Perce Tribal Forestry
- Idaho Native Plant Society
- Idaho Forest Products Commission
- Idaho Sustainable Forestry Initiative State Implementation Committee
- Associated Logging Contractors of Idaho