|2013-2014 Strengthening Forest Stewardship Skills Events
Landscaping for Fire Prevention
This program helps forest homeowners make their home site less likely to burn and easier for firefighters to access, in the event of a local forest fire.
- Additional sessions of this program can be scheduled for interested groups of 10 or more.
|Rural Land Purchasing 101
Prepares potential rural property owners to make the best decisions regarding legal and financial issues when purchasing rural land.
|Idaho Master Forest Stewards 2014
Idaho Master Forest Stewards receive over 70 hours of education to help them better manage their forest and help other forest owners. The training includes several of the sessions listed on this calendar - see (IMFS), and the following four 1-day “core sessions”:
- Core 3: Priest River Exp. Forest, Sat., July 12, 2014
- Core 4: Shoshone Base Camp Sat., Sept. 13, 2014
- IMFS Spring Gathering, Sandpoint, Fri., June 6, 2014
- IMFS Fall Gathering, Orofino, Friday, Sept. 26, 2014
|Successful Tree Planting
Features 2-3 hours indoors on reforestation planning and planting techniques followed by tree planting field activities.
|Ties to the Land
Helps families use succession, estate, and family business planning to maintain family ties to the land between generations.
- Sandpoint, July 15 & 22, 2014 (9am to 12pm)
|Forest Economics and Contracting
Will highlight log price forecasts, alternative investments, property tax options, and timber harvest planning and contracting.
|Pruning to Restore White Pine
Covers blister rust disease cycles and identification, and pruning methods to reduce white pine mortality from blister rust.
- Coeur d’Alene, Friday, June 27, 2014 (8am to 4pm)
|Thinning and Pruning Field Day
Includes 2-3 hours indoors, followed by a hands-on field tour to learn about forest growth, forest genetics, thinning, and pruning (IMFS).
- Orofino, Friday, July 18 (8am to 5pm)
|Forest Insects & Disease Field Day
A full day of first-hand contact with insects and diseases that affect forest growth and health, with discussions of related management strategies (IMFS).
- Sandpoint, Friday, August 8, 2014, (8am to 5pm)
|Using your GPS
Introduces participants to the science underlying Global Positioning Systems or “GPS”, followed by field exercises on basic GPS tasks.
- Coeur d’Alene, Saturday, Aug. 9, 2014 (9am to 12pm)
|Growing your Own Tree Seedlings
Participants will learn about forest genetics, assessing seed sources and cone crops, and how to grow their own tree seedlings.
- Coeur d’Alene, Friday, Aug. 15, 2014 (8am to 5pm)
|Forest Stewardship Field Tour
A tour of forest properties that have implemented cost-shared forest management practices, including thinning, pruning, and planting.
|For more specific information on these and other UI Extension Forestry programs in your locale, see the following contacts:
Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, & Kootenai counties:
Chris Schnepf, Area Extension Educator - Forestry
University of Idaho Extension - Kootenai County Office
1808 North 3rd Street,
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Phone: (208) 446-1680
Bill Warren, Extension Educator – Economic Development/Land Stewardship
University of Idaho Extension - Clearwater County Office
2200 Michigan Ave. Box E,
Orofino, ID 83544
Phone: (208) 476-4434
All other Idaho counties:
Randy Brooks, Extension Forestry Specialist
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1140
Moscow, ID 83844-1140
Phone: (208) 885-6356
|Strengthening Forest Stewardship Skills programs are supported in part by the Idaho Forest Stewardship Program, a cooperative effort of the following agencies and organizations:
• Idaho Department of Lands
• University of Idaho Extension
• USDA Forest Service
• Idaho Forest Owners Association
• Idaho Tree Farm Program
• Consulting Foresters
• Idaho Association of Soil Conservation Districts
• USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service
• Idaho Department of Fish and Game
• USDI Fish and Wildlife Service
• Idaho Nature Conservancy
• Idaho Association of RC&D Councils
• Nez Perce Tribal Forestry
• Idaho Native Plant Society
• Idaho Forest Products Commission
• Idaho Sustainable Forestry Initiative State Implementation Committee
• Associated Logging Contractors of Idaho