|2014-2015 Strengthening Forest Stewardship Skills Events
All times are Pacific Standard or Daylight Savings Time.
For more specific information on these and other UI Extension Forestry programs in your locale, see the following contacts:
|Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, & Kootenai counties:
Chris Schnepf, Area Extension Educator - Forestry
University of Idaho Extension - Kootenai County Office
1808 North 3rd Street,
Coeur d'Alene, ID 83814
Phone: (208) 446-1680
Bill Warren, Extension Educator –
Economic Development/Land Stewardship
University of Idaho Extension - Clearwater County Office
2200 Michigan Ave. Box E,
Orofino, ID 83544
Phone: (208) 476-4434
|All other Idaho counties:
Randy Brooks, Extension Forestry Specialist
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1140
Moscow, ID 83844-1140
Phone: (208) 885-6356
This multi-session program enriches family forest owners' basic understanding of forest management planning, forest ecology, silviculture, insects, disease, goal setting, record keeping, and other forest stewardship topics. (2 UI credits available).
- Priest River, ID. Six Friday mornings (June 12, 19, 26 & July 3, 10, 17, 2015) from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. West Bonner Library, 188 Main Street.
|Free Computer Mapping
Introduces forest owners to Google Earth, ArcGIS Explorer, and Web Soil Survey to improve forest management decisions.
- Sandpoint, Friday, January 30, 2015 (9:00 AM to 12:00 PM).
Orientation to the growing number of android smartphone and tablet applications that can be used for forestry.
- Sandpoint, Friday, January 30, 2015 (1:00 to 5:00 PM)
|Identifying Idaho's Trees
Learn to identify Idaho’s native forest trees and common shrubs. May be indoors or in the field.
- Coeur d'Alene, Monday, February 9, 2015 (6:00 to 9:00 PM)
- Sandpoint, Saturday, May 2, 2015 (9:00 AM to 1:00 PM)
|Scaling and Marketing Private Timber
Provides landowners and loggers with training on log scaling practices and how to manufacture and market logs for the best return.
- Bonners Ferry, Friday, February 20, 2015 (9:00 AM to 4:00 PM)
|Drones for Forestry
Learn about possible applications for see demonstrations of unmanned aerial vehicles.
- Coeur d'Alene, Friday, February 27, 2015 (1:00 to 4:00 PM)
|Non Timber Forest Products
Learn more about mushrooms, floral greens, specialty woods, medicinals, and similar materials collectively referred to as "Non-Timber Forest Products".
- Coeur d'Alene, Friday, March 6, 2015 (12:00 to 5:00 PM)
Learn about huckleberries, mushrooms, medicines, herbs, and a variety of other foods can be harvested in forests for personal or commercial use.
- Sandpoint, Saturday, March 7, 2015 (8:00 AM to 12:00 PM)
|Successful Tree Planting
Features 2-3 hours indoors on reforestation planning and planting techniques followed by tree planting field activities.
- Coeur d'Alene, Saturday, March 21, 2015 (1:00 to 5:00 PM)
Participants will learn about specific management tools that produce forage and promote forest health, while cattle graze in forested areas.
- St. Maries, March 27, 2015 (1:00 to 5:00 PM)
|Rural Land Purchasing 101
Prepares potential rural property owners to make the best decisions regarding legal and financial issues when purchasing rural land.
- Lewiston, ID. March, 2015 (details TBA)
Small forest acreage homeowners learn how to apply basic forestry concepts to “home landscape” forests.
- Bonners Ferry, Friday, April 10, 2015 (6:00 to 9:00 PM)
|Conducting Your Own Timber Sale
A multi-week program to help landowners conduct their own timber sale or work with a consulting forester to do so.
- Orofino, April, 2015 (Details TBA)
|Map and Compass for Forest Owners
This program features 2-3 hours interpreting topo maps, followed by field activities using magnetic compasses to identify locations and distances.
- Coeur d'Alene, Friday, April 24, 2015 (9:00 AM to 4:00 PM)
|Forestry for Southern Idaho
This one-day workshop will introduce farmers, ranchers, and other forest owners to silviculture, forest insects and diseases, and thinning methods.
- McCall, Thursday, May 14, 2015
|Thinning and Pruning Field Day
Includes 2-3 hours indoors, followed by a hands-on field tour to learn about forest growth, forest genetics, thinning, and pruning (IMFS).
- Sandpoint, Saturday, June 13, 2015 (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
|An Introduction to Forest Habitat Types
This program features a short introduction to conservation easements followed by a panel of representatives from public and private institutions that set up conservation easements and a landowner who has enrolled in one.
- Coeur d'Alene, June 16-18, 2015 (tentative)
|Idaho FPA Stream Protection Twilight Tours
These field tours will to help people correctly implement the new Idaho Forest Practices Act (FPA) stream protection regulations.
- Moscow, Tuesday, June 30, 2015 (3:00 to 7:00 PM)
- Bonners Ferry, Thursday, July 9, 2015 (3:00 to 7:00 PM)
- St. Maries, Thursday, July 16, 2015 (3:00 to 7:00 PM)
|Forest Insects and Disease Field Day
A full day of first-hand contact with insects and diseases that affect forest growth and health, with discussions of related management strategies (IMFS).
- Coeur d'Alene, Friday, July 24, 2015 (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
- Orofino or Cottonwood, Date TBA
|Using your GPS
Introduces participants to the science underlying Global Positioning Systems or “GPS”, followed by field exercises on basic GPS tasks.
- Bonners Ferry, Saturday, August 8, 2015 (8:00 AM to 12:00 PM)
|Restoring Idaho Streams
This program will introduce landowners to fundamentals of stream restoration with a field trip reviewing simple and more elaborate techniques to improve stream health, function and stability.
- Sandpoint, Friday, August 14, 2015 (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)
|Strengthening Forest Stewardship Skills programs are supported in part by the Idaho Forest Stewardship Program, a cooperative effort of the following agencies and organizations:
- Idaho Department of Lands
- University of Idaho Extension
- U.S.D.A. Forest Service
- Idaho Forest Owners Association
- Idaho Tree Farm Program
- Consulting Foresters
- Idaho Association of Soil Conservation Districts
- U.S.D.A. Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Idaho Department of Fish and Game
- U.S.D.I. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Idaho Nature Conservancy
- Idaho Association of RC&D Councils
- Intermountain Forest Association
- Nez Perce Tribal Forestry
- Idaho Native Plant Society
- Idaho Forest Products Commission
- Idaho Sustainable Forestry Initiative State Implementation Committee
- Associated Logging Contractors of Idaho