students walk on University of Idaho campus

Visit UI

Learn about the many reasons the University of Idaho could be a perfect fit for you. Schedule Your Visit

Parents on campus during orientation

Homecoming Oct. 1-7

Join other Vandal families for a week of celebration and Vandal traditions. View Calendar

campus full of students

UI Retirees Association

UIRA has a membership of nearly 500 from every part of the University. Learn More

Contact

University of Idaho Extension, Lemhi County

Mailing Address:
200 Fulton Street, Suite 202
Salmon, ID 83467

Phone: 208-742-1697

Fax: 208-756-6915

Email: lemhi@uidaho.edu

Find us on Google Maps

Agriculture

Agriculture is the cornerstone industry in Lemhi County. There are 26,623 head of beef cows and 22,300 acres of hay in Lemhi County.

Other livestock production areas include 1,100 sheep and 100 goats. Most forage crops are utilized on the ranch and sold locally. Irrigated crop ground produces an average of 2.9 tons per acres of grass and some alfalfa hay, with barley at about 83 bushels per acre.

Over 90 percent of the harvested acreage produces a forage crop and then aftermath pasture. Of the land in agriculture, 57 percent is harvested crop land and the remaining 43 percent is utilized for pasture. Frost-free growing days range from 145 days at Shoup to 90 days at Leadore.

For more information on the agriculture programs, contact Shannon Williams.

Cattlemen’s Winter School

Cattlemen’s Winter School (PDF) is a series of workshops hosted by UI Extension, Lemhi County and Lemhi County Cattle and Horse Growers Association.

The workshops begin Tuesday, Jan. 3 at 7 p.m. at the Elks Lodge, 901 Lombard Street, Salmon, Idaho.  On Tuesday, Jan. 10, the Range Livestock Symposium will be part of Winter School from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.  Winter School will continue on Jan. 17; Jan. 24; Jan. 31; and Feb. 7 at 7 p.m. each night.

Cattlemen choose the topics for Winter School at their annual meeting in November and each week covers a different topic(s). Topic areas include beef nutrition, range, marketing, business, noxious weeds, animal health, forage and ranch management. Winter School is free to attend and there is no RSVP required. You may attend one or all of the winter school sessions.

Agriculture Week Celebration, March 20-24. 2017

Help us celebrate agriculture in Lemhi County.

  • Educational seminars in every school in the county
  • Radio trivia
  • Community bingo
  • A self-guided tour of agriculture in Lemhi County
  • Free drive-thru breakfast

If you are interested in volunteering to help with community awareness events and school programs, please contact the UI Extension, Lemhi County office.

Feed and Soil Analysis

Producers are invited to have feed and soils analyzed for nutrient content, all for the cost of the lab fees. Once a forage is analyzed, Shannon Williams is available to help develop a ration for your livestock. She also works with specialists to determine fertilizer rates for your pasture, forage or garden.

For more information contact

Shannon Williams

Extension Educator — Agriculture and Natural Resources

Contact

University of Idaho Extension, Lemhi County

Mailing Address:
200 Fulton Street, Suite 202
Salmon, ID 83467

Phone: 208-742-1697

Fax: 208-756-6915

Email: lemhi@uidaho.edu

Find us on Google Maps