Idaho Master Gardener Program
“Helping people grow” is the motto of the Idaho Master Gardener program, reflecting UI Extension’s goal to help meet the needs of growers in our local communities.
Individuals interested in becoming an Idaho Master Gardener should:
- Have an interest in, some knowledge of and experience with basic gardening and related horticultural topics
- Be able to communicate effectively with the public
- Be willing to research and consult with an unbiased approach toward horticulture topics
- Be willing to complete 40 to 50 hours of instruction (February – April) and provide a minimum of 35 to 50 hours of service each year (April – October)
Please use the Word version to generate a form you can fill out on your computer and email back to us, or print the PDF version and mail to our office:
We generally have a waiting list for our certification program. We suggest submitting an application as soon as possible to save your place. The training is filled on a first come, first served basis.
Please fill out the application and mail it to the UI Extension, Kootenai County office at 1808 N 3rd Street Coeur d’Alene, Idaho 83814, or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will time stamp your application once we receive it in our office.
Wait for Contact
You are placed on a waiting list and will be contacted the summer before the next training year to begin the interview and selection process.
We have more applicants than available trainee positions. Thank you for your interest in the Idaho Master Gardener program.
Attend Certification Class
Certification classes depend on annual funding. Please submit your application anytime so you can be placed on our waiting list.
Our certification classes, when offered, are held February – April, twice per week from 1 – 4 p.m. in Coeur d’Alene.
This course may be taken for credits with the University of Idaho. This process requires special paperwork that must be submitted on a semester basis and increases the cost associated with the program.
Please notify us if you wish to receive credits so we may direct you to the proper UI department.
Volunteer Outreach Projects
Our Idaho Master Gardeners spend countless hours on their own projects within our program. They volunteer their time teaching classes and consulting on home horticulture for members of our community.
Thank you to our Idaho Master Gardeners for being a great resource at the following community events:
- Kootenai County Farmers Market
- Bagging Trees For Arbor Day
- Earth Day Fair at the Coeur d’Alene Public Library
- Annual Spring Craft Fair at Lake City High School
- Sodbuster Plant Sale
- River City Garden Club Plant Sale
- Q’Emlin Park Tree Give Away
- CDA4Kids Summer Program
- Fernan Elementary School – A “New” Idaho Master Gardener School Mentorship Program
- Planting flowers on the Kootenai County Fairgrounds
- North Idaho Fair booth and “The Friends of the Farmer” Building Design