4-H Livestock Program
Youth gain knowledge and responsibility as they care for and raise project animals. Animals range from beef, sheep and swine to goats, poultry and rabbits. Not only do they learn essential life skills, but many members save sale proceeds from market animals to pay for college and training after high school.
Breeding and Non-Market Animal Projects
- Identification Sheet — Beef (one per animal) (PDF)
- Identification Sheet — Goat (one per animal) (PDF)
- Identification Sheet — Sheep (one per animal) (PDF)
- Identification Sheet — Swine (one per animal) (PDF)
- Instructions to complete Livestock ID sheets through 4-H Online (PDF)
- Permanent Individual Animal Record (one per animal) (Word) (PDF)
Market Animal Project Growth Charts
Learning to develop marketing plans, establishing relationships with prospective buyers and cultivating those connections are all important components of 4-H market animal projects.
Through this process, youth gain self-confidence and build their communication skills.
The following resources can help guide members and leaders: