Idaho Master Gardener School Garden Mentor Program
Background: The Farm to School movement addresses problems of childhood overweight and obesity and fosters agricultural literacy through school gardens, education about food and farms, and the inclusion of fresh, local foods in school lunch programs. The Idaho State Department of Education (SDE) received United State Department of Agriculture (USDA) funding to implement school garden and nutrition education projects in 10 schools in 2013. SDE has sought the expertise of University of Idaho Extension and Idaho Master Gardener Volunteers to assist in the development of school gardens.
Our program has been modeled on similar Extension programs, like this one in California: http://www.mastergardenerssandiego.org/schools/schoolconsultanthm.php
Minimum Requirements: Master Gardener Volunteers in good standing may apply to receive training and background screening to become certified School Garden Mentors for one of 10 schools awarded funding by SDE to create school gardens in Idaho. These Mentors will work one-on-one with the teacher, administrator and parent teams who are ultimately responsible for each garden site. Mentors will provide outreach, technical support, youth activities and gardening know-how as needed. They will supply gardening expertise and education to youth or adults, if appropriate, using approved curriculum. They will also be responsible for regular reports and evaluations, submitted to the supervising Extension Educator.
- Kellogg Middle & Sunny Side Elementary, Kellogg School District #391
- Fernan Elementary, Coeur d'Alene School District
- Moscow Charter School, Moscow School District
- Troy Elementary, Troy School District
- Borah High School, Boise School District
- Heritage Community Charter School, Caldwell
- Heritage Middle School, Meridian Joint School District
- Parma Learning Center, Parma School District #137
- MHAFB Youth Programs, Mountain Home
- Valley Crisis Center / Bright Horizons Learning Center, Nampa
- Ms Amy’s Daycare, Fruitland
- Tator Tots Child Care, American Falls
- Little People's Academy, Idaho Falls
2013 Mentors! Access and view the complete School Garden Webinar Training Here.
Please direct any questions to Ariel Agenbroad at 208-459-6003 or email@example.com