Youth Beef Camp
- When: Year-round as needed
- Duration: 1/2 to one day
- Topics: Topics of local interest
- Cost: None
4-H and FFA members enrolled in market beef projects are encouraged to attend a Beef Camp.
Beef camps for youth occur in counties as requested. About half a dozen of these camps are held each year, often at county fairgrounds.
These hands-on educational programs focus on topics that vary from year to year, including end product quality. They feature speakers from the University of Idaho Extension Beef Team, Idaho Beef Council and others. A taste panel, live animal evaluation or lunch may be included.
Topics May Include
- Selecting market steers
- How feeding affects placing in the quality class
- Measuring carcass quality
- Factors that determine meat quality
- Halter breaking calves
- Weighing and measuring feeds
- 4-H beef-related materials. Some can be downloaded; others ordered from firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (208) 885-7982.