Start an FLL Team!
There are always interested kids, they just need a coach. No experience is necessary to coach - you do not need to be an engineer! Coaches can be parents, teachers or community group volunteers.
- Find a two coaches (required for youth protection policy).
- Boys and girls (ages 9-14) from a school, community organization, homeschool group, or neighborhood friends self-organize into a team.
- A child can be a team member on only one team.
- A coach can be the coach for multiple teams.
- Teams typically have 4 to 6 members but up to 10 members per team is allowed.
- Every team must have at least two adult coaches – additional coaches and mentors are encouraged.
- The upper age limit of 14 years old is strictly enforced. All team members must be 14 or younger on January 1 of the competition year.
- Register your team for the upcoming 2015 FIRST® LEGO® League TRASH TREK Challenge
How much does it cost?
University of Idaho Extension Robotics recommends that teams budget $1100 for the first year and $500-600 in following years. Teams are encouraged to look for community support and fundraising opportunities.
Detailed first year team budget