FIRST® LEGO® League
FIRST® LEGO® League (FLL®) is an international robotics competition designed to ignite enthusiasm for science, engineering and technology in youth ages 9-14. Teams research the following:
- Real-world topics
- Identify problems
- Create innovative solutions
- Build and program LEGO-based robots to complete tasks on a themed playing field
At competition team performance is evaluated in four areas:
- Project teams research the challenge theme and identify a real-world problem. Teams develop and present their solution to that problem to the judges. Teams are evaluated on research, solution and presentation.
- Robot Design teams present their robot to the judges. Robots are evaluated on mechanical design, programming, strategy and innovation.
- Core Values teams are presented with a surprise teamwork activity. They perform that activity in front of judges where teams are evaluated on inspiration, teamwork and gracious professionalism.
- Robot Game robots complete missions on a 4 x 8 playing field. Teams have two minutes and 30 seconds to complete missions and earn points for each mission completed. Each team has three opportunities to compete on the field (best score of three counts).
Idaho FIRST Lego League (FLL) Timeline
- For important deadlines and specific event dates visit our calendar
- May — FIRST Team Registration and payment opens
- October/Early November — Teams apply and pay for qualifying tournaments (link will be sent to registered teams)
- December — Regional qualifying tournaments
- January/Early February — Idaho State Championships (North and South)
- April — FIRST Lego League World Festival held at the FIRST World Championships