Idaho 4-H International Programs offer 4-H teens and their families an opportunity for global education, either by hosting a teen from another country, or by traveling outbound to visit countries around the world. First developed in 1948 to encourage cultural exchange in the post-World War II period, the ultimate goal of 4-H international exchanges is to encourage “peace through understanding.”
4-H International Programs are “homestay” programs, where a teen lives with a host family for a complete cultural immersion experience.
Idaho families may host summer exchange students ages 12-19 from Argentina, Norway, Japan, Finland, or Costa Rica for one month. Norway sends delegations to the U.S. in odd numbered years, while Finland sends a delegation in even numbered years. Japan and Argentina send a delegation each summer.
- Japan Inbound Exchange Program (July 21-August 17) | pdf |
- Finland Inbound Exchange Program (July 8-August 7) | pdf |
- Argentina Inbound Exchange Program (July 8-August 7) | pdf |
Host families should have a child of the same gender and approximate age as the child they are hosting. Download the Host Family Information page below to learn more about hosting.
To apply to host, complete the online Host Family Application (http://www.states4hexchange.org/host-families/create-account.aspx
). Paper applications may be downloaded and faxed, mailed, or emailed to Idaho 4-H. Applications to host students from Finland or Argentina are due March 25. Applications to host Japanese students will be accepted until all students are placed, but families are encouraged to apply by April 15.
The Japanese delegate list is available below. It includes descriptions of all program participants. Students who have been assigned to host families have a county designation in the right column.
- 2014 Host family information | pdf |
- 2014 Host family application | pdf |
- 2014 Japanese delegate list | pdf |
For more information on in the inbound hosting program, email email@example.com
Idaho 4-H participates in the States’ 4-H International Exchange Program for youth travel to Australia, Costa Rica, Finland, Norway, Tanzania and Japan. Norway hosts groups from the U.S. in even numbered years, while Finland hosts in odd numbered years. Australia and Japan host each year. Outbound teens are placed with a host family in their country of choice for 4 weeks (all outbound destinations except Tanzania) or 8 weeks (Japan only).
Chaperones are always needed to accompany small groups of outbound delegates to other countries. For more information on volunteering as a chaperone, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Japan Outbound Exchange Program | June 11-August 7 or July 9-August 7 | pdf |
- Norway Outbound Exchange Program | June 25-July 25 | pdf |
- Costa Rica Outbound Exchange Program | June 25-July-26 | pdf |
- Australia Outbound Exchange Program | June 18-July 16 | pdf |
- Tanzania Outbound Exchange Program | 2 weeks in July | pdf |
Scholarships to help pay program expenses are available from the Idaho Friends of 4-H and other organizations. The deadline to apply to for Summer 2014 travel to another country is December 1, 2013. To apply, download the applications below. For best results use the most recent version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat. For more information on outbound exchanges, email email@example.com
International Programs Contact Information
- Delegate Checklist | pdf |
- Outbound Exchange Application (all countries) | pdf |
- Comprehensive Release | pdf |
- Medical Form - Japan | pdf |
- Medical Form - All other countries | pdf |
- Friends of 4-H Scholarship Application| pdf |
University of Idaho
4H Youth Development
1904 E. Chicago Street Suite A-B
Caldwell, ID 83605