State 4-H Youth Development Contact Information
4-H Youth Development
University of Idaho
875 Perimeter Drive, MS 3015
Moscow, ID 83844-3015
Mary E. Forney Hall
1210 Blake Avenue, Room 206
Moscow, ID 83844-3015
4-H International Programs
4-H International Programs are “homestay” programs, where a teen lives with a host family for a complete cultural immersion experience.
Idaho families may host summer exchange students ages 12-19 from Norway, Japan, Finland, Argentina for one month. Norway sends delegations to the U.S. in odd numbered years, while Finland sends a delegation in even numbered years. Japan and Argentina send a delegation each summer.
- Japan Inbound Exchange Program (July 27-August 23) | pdf |
- Norway Inbound Exchange Program (July 2-27) | pdf |
- Argentina Inbound Exchange Program (July 9-August 7) | pdf |
Host families should have a child of the same gender and approximate age as the child they are hosting. Download the Host Family Information page below to learn more about hosting.
To apply to host, complete the online Host Family Application (http://www.states4hexchange.org/host-families/create-account.aspx). Paper applications may be downloaded and faxed, mailed, or emailed to Idaho 4-H. Applications to host students from Norway or Argentina are due February 21. Applications to host Japanese students will be accepted until all students are placed, but families are encouraged to apply by April 15.
The Japanese delegate list will be posted in late February. It includes photos and descriptions of all program participants. Students who have been assigned to host families have a county designation in the right column.
- 2013 Host family information | pdf |
- 2013 Host family application | pdf |
- 2013 Japanese delegate list | pdf |
For more information on in the inbound hosting program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Idaho 4-H participates in the States’ 4-H International Exchange Program for youth travel to Argentina, Australia, Finland, Norway, and Japan. Trips to Costa Rica and Tanzania have been canceled for 2013. Norway hosts groups from the U.S. in even numbered years, while Finland hosts in odd numbered years. Australia, Argentina and Japan host each year. Outbound teens are placed with a host family in their country of choice for one month (all outbound destinations) or eight weeks (Japan only).
Chaperones are always needed to accompany small groups of outbound delegates to other countries. For more information on volunteering as a chaperone, email email@example.com.
- Japan Outbound Exchange Program | June 12-August 8 or July 10-August 8 | pdf |
- Finland Outbound Exchange Program | July 1-July 31 | pdf |
- Argentina Outbound Exchange Program | July 8-August 6 | pdf |
- Australia Outbound Exchange Program | June 19-July 17 | pdf |
Scholarships to help pay program expenses are available from the Idaho Friends of 4-H and other organizations. The deadline to apply to for Summer 2013 travel to another country is January 15, 2013. To apply, download the applications below. For best results use the most recent version of Adobe Reader or Acrobat. For more information on outbound exchanges, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Delegate Checklist | pdf |
- Outbound Exchange Application (all countries) | pdf |
- Comprehensive Release | pdf |
- Friends of 4-H Scholarship Application| pdf |
International Programs Contact Information
University of Idaho 4-H Youth Development Extension Associate