University buildings are routinely inspected by the Idaho Division of Building Safety. The DBS inspector is accompanied by a representative from UI Environmental Health and Safety and, when possible, a representative from the building. Inspection results are mailed electronically to the dean. Units are given 20 days to correct violations. Reports are routed to the Engineering safety committee.
Most commonly cited safety violations in Engineering:
- Extension cords (non circuit protected) used as a substitute for fixed permanent wiring
- Multi-plug adapters in use
- Electrical power taps “daisy chained”
- Portable heaters have no tip-over protection
- Candles in offices
- Household ladders (type III) in use
- Tall (4’ or higher) cabinets or bookshelves not secured
- Trip hazards, such as cords
- Exits, pathways or travel blocked
- Electrical panels and fire extinguishers obstructed
- Fire doors propped open
Useful links on safety inspections:
This website provides standards and regulations, checklists, forms, fact sheets, FAQ’s.
Idaho Division of Building Safety, General Safety and Health Standards.Z
This site has information on a variety of topics, including ladders, first aid kits, assembly occupancies, theatre rigging, noise exposure, compressed gas tanks, and much more.