Office of the Dean
Phone: (208) 885-6470
Fax: (208) 885-6645
Janssen Engineering (JEB)
875 Perimeter Drive MS 1011
Moscow, ID 83844-1011
Contact Denise Engebrecht
Phone: (208) 364-6123
Fax: (208) 364-3160
Idaho Water Center
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702
Contact Debbie Caudle
Phone: (208) 282-7983
Fax: (208) 282-7929
1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402
B.S.C.E, University of Idaho, Civil Engineering, 1953
Shortly after receiving his degree from the University of Idaho, DeWitt joined the Marine Corp. His initial training was at Quantico, VA where he received his commission as a 2nd Lieutenant in the fall of 1953. After further training at Quantico, VA he was sent to the Far East (Japan and Korea) for a year.
DeWitt accepted an offer from Allis Chalmers in Milwaukee, WI. The job offered a two year training program for engineers where he worked in several departments. In the hydraulic turbine department, DeWitt and a company lead man erected the first Kaplan type turbine on the erection floor, before shipment to the Dallas Dam.
Next, DeWitt accepted a job with Willamette Western in Portland, OR where he entered into foundation work which was his lifetime support system. He left eight years later as a Vice President of the Foundation Division having opened and managed offices in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
DeWitt obtained his first Patent with Willamette Western Co. through a bid project from the state of Oregon. He had the shop build a rather simple tool to extract the hundreds of berthing wood piles that required no men to attach or release the extracted pile and sent the tool out to the job. The foreman called after a couple of hours and said “Wayne you had better patent this”. Over several years, Vulcan Iron Works, Nashville, paid DeWitt royalties for this patent.
DeWitt joined a local bridge construction company and his contributions were knowledge, contacts, good reputation and respect of the general contractors. The bridge company contracted in the Oregon and Washington areas and had a small amount of foundation equipment. After eighteen months in business together, DeWitt purchased it and changed the name of the company to DeWitt Construction.
DeWitt obtained several patents prior to the award of the Driven Grout Patent. The patent for Auger Cast Pile (owned by Intrusion Prepac Company) expired, so he installed Auger Cast Pile. He believed there was a better way, so he created the Driven Grout Pile. It is now universally accepted and specified by engineers in the Portland and Seattle markets. It is much less costly, carries more load and materials are immediately available.