Matthew Riley, Ph.D.
College of Engineering
Campus Locations: Moscow
With UI Since 2011
Ph.D., Wright State University, Engineering, 2011
B.S., Wright State University, Mechanical Engineering, 2007
- Riley, M. E., Grandhi, R.V., Kolonay, R.M. "Quantification of Modeling Uncertainty in Aeroelastic Design". AIAA Journal of Aircraft. 2011 (accepted for publication)
- Riley, M. E., Grandhi, R.V. "Quantification of Model-Form and Predictive Uncertainty for Multi-Physics Simulations". Journal of Computers and Structures. 2010 (accepted for publication)
- Riley, M.E., Grandhi, R.V. "Quantification of Model-Form and Predictive Uncertainty for Multi-Physics Simulations". 6th MIT Conference of Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics. Cambridge, MA. June 15-17, 2011.
- Riley, M.E. and Grandhi, R.V. "Quantification of Parametric and Modeling-Induced Uncertainties in Multi-Physics Simulations". 52nd AIAA Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference. Denver, CO. April 4-7, 2011.
- Riley, M.E., Grandhi, R.V., and Kolonay, R.P. "Quantification of Modeling Uncertainty in Aeroelastic Analyses". 13th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference. Fort Worth, TX. September 13-15, 2010.
- Riley, M.E., Grandhi, R.V., and Kolonay, R.P. " Modeling Uncertainty in Aeroelastic Design". 51st AIAA Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference. Orlando, FL. April 12-15, 2010.
- Benanzer, T.W. Grandhi, R.V. Riley, M.E. Krol, W.P. “System Design of Undersea Vehicles Subject to Mission Performance”. 12th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference. Victoria, British-Columbia. September 9-11, 2008.
Office of Naval ResearchJune 2007 – August 2008
- Performed reliability-based structural optimization of torpedo-like structures
- Implemented and developed adaptive heuristic optimization schemes for efficient analysis
- Constructed and implemented a multi-fidelity modeling and uncertainty quantification framework for the design of a multi-physics projectile defense system
Air Force Research Laboratory August 2008 – Present
- Worked in a team of 6 students and additional external researchers from both AFRL and outside contractorsin the design and optimization of a long-range supersonic bomber
- Performed both parametric and modeling-induced uncertainty quantification in the transonic flutter analysis of the aircraft using CFD-based aeroelastic simulation packages
- Developed novel methods for the quantification of modeling-induced uncertainties in the design process
- 2010-2011: Wright State Ph.D. in Engineering Assistantship
- 2010: Best Technical Presentation, 35th AIAA Dayton Cincinnati Aerospace Science Symposium,
- 2009: Best Presentation Award, 5th Annual ASME Dayton Engineering Sciences
Symposium, Structures & Uncertainties
- 2008-2010: DAGSI Ph.D. Assistantship Award Recipient
- June, 2008: Awarded NREIP Internship at Naval Undersea Warfare Center in
- June, 2007: Awarded NREIP Internship at Naval Undersea Warfare Center in
- June, 2007: Wright State University Presidential Commendation for Excellence in Extra-Curricular Activities