Mechanical Engineering
Phone: (208) 885-6579
Toll-free: 88-88-UIDAHO
Fax: (208) 885-9031
Email: medept@uidaho.edu

Engineering Physics (EP)
Room 324K

875 Perimeter Drive MS 0902
Moscow, ID 83844-0902


Contact Denise Engebrecht
Phone: (208) 364-6123
Fax: (208) 364-3160
Email: denisee@uidaho.edu

Idaho Water Center
322 E. Front Street
Boise, ID 83702


Idaho Falls

Contact Debbie Caudle
Phone: (208) 282-7983
Fax: (208) 282-7929
Email: debrac@uidaho.edu

1776 Science Center Drive, Suite 306
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402

Distance Education

Engineering Outreach
Phone: (208) 885-6373
Toll-free: (800) 824-2889
Fax: (208) 885-9249
E-mail: outreach@uidaho.edu



The minimum requirements to enter any of the graduate programs in mechanical engineering are:

  • An undergraduate degree in Mechanical Engineering or a closely related field from an ABET-accredited U.S. program, this does not include technical degrees; and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
  • The GRE General Exam is recommended but not required for students with an undergraduate degree from a U.S. ABET-accredited program. The GRE General Exam is required for all other applicants. Minimum scores required: Verbal 151, Quantitative 153, Analytical Writing 4.5.
  • The TOEFL (minimum score: internet based 79, paper based 550), or an equivalent test, is required for all students whose primary language is not English.
  • All applicants are required to submit 3 letters of recommendation, a 1-2 page Statement of Career Objectives and a 1-2 page Curriculum Vitae/Resume.

If you are interested in applying for graduate admission, go to the Graduate Admissions website for additional information.

If you are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering and have any questions about the requirements listed above, please contact Molly Steiner. Molly can be reached by phone at (208) 885-4279 or by e-mail at mollym@uidaho.edu.

Applicants to any of the graduate programs are reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the department's Graduate Committee. Some applicants who have a baccalaureate degree in a field other than mechanical engineering may be required to complete certain undergraduate deficiency courses before they will be allowed to take graduate level courses.