Fouad Bayomy, Ph.D., P.E.
College of Engineering
Campus Locations: Moscow
Department of Civil Engineering
With UI Since 1991
Ph.D., Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1982
M.S.C.E., Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 1977
B.Sc., C.E. (Hons.), Cairo University, Egypt, 1973
Pavement design and performance evaluation systems
Laboratory and field non-destructive testing
Highway maintenance management systems
Professor Bayomy has been with the University of Idaho since 1991. He has also taught at Cairo University (EGYPT) and KFUPM (Saudi Arabia).
Dr. Bayomy experience is focused on the design, construction, evaluation and management of highway and airport pavement systems. He served as a consultant for many agencies, governmental and private; in the US and overseas. He chairs and serves on several national committees that deal with pavement technologies and engineering education including the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), the Transportation Research Board (TRB), and the Association of Asphalt Pavement Technologists (AAPT).
Early in his career, he held various positions ranging from a construction and material engineer, to a senior researcher and engineering manager. Currently, Dr. Bayomy teaches undergraduate and graduate classes on construction materials and pavements, and manages several research projects sponsored by the US Dept of Transportation, the Idaho Dept of Transportation and the National Science Foundation.
* - Indicates student co-authors
- *Thyagarajan, S., Tashman, L., Masad, E., and Bayomy, F., “The heterogeneity and mechanical response of hot mix asphalt laboratory specimens,” in the International Journal of Pavement Engineering (IJPE), February 2009, published by Taylor and Francis, UK.
- *Abu Abdo, A., F. Bayomy, T. Weaver, S. Jung, R. Nielsen and M. Santi, “Development and Evaluation of Hot Mix Asphalt Stability Index,” Accepted for presentation and Inclusion in the TRB CD of the 88th annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board, January 2009. Paper No. 09-2076.
- *Abu Abdo, A., F. Bayomy, R. Nielsen, T. Weaver, S. Jung, and M. Santi “Prediction of the Dynamic Modulus of Superpave Mixes,” Accepted for presentation and publication in the proceedings of the 8th International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfields (BCRA’09), June 29-July 2, 2009, Champaign, Illinois.
- Bayomy, F., *Abu Abdo, A., and M. Santi, “Permanent Deformation Evaluation of Idaho Superpave Mixes Using the Gyratory Stability,” Accepted for presentation and publication in the proceedings of the 8th International Conference on the Bearing Capacity of Roads, Railways and Airfields (BCRA’09), June 29-July 2, 2009, Champaign, Illinois.
- *Abu Abdo, A., F. Bayomy and B. Muhunthan, “Dynamic Modulus (E*) of Asphalt Mixes: A More Rigorous Approach to Interpretation,” Paper in review, International Journal of Pavement Engineering (IJPE), published by Taylor and Francis, UK
- Bayomy, F., A. Abu Abdo*, M. Mull, and M. Santi, “Evaluation of Fracture Resistance of Hot-Mix Asphalt,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Advanced Characterization of Pavement and Soil Engineering Materials, Athens, Greece, 20- 22 June 2007.
- *Abu Abdo, A., F. Bayomy, M. Santi, “Evaluation of Gyratory Stability for Hveem-Designed Mixes,” in the TRB Compendium of Papers CD-ROM of the 86th annual meeting of the Transportation Research Board, January 2007. Paper No. 07-1704.
- Development and Evaluation of Performance Tests to Enhance Superpave Mix Design and Implementation in Idaho, Project funded by the USDOT and ITD ($430K). Contracts KLK479 and KLK483. In progress
- Dynamic Characterization of Egyptian Hot Mix Asphalt Concrete for Highway Pavement Design and Evaluation, A cooperative project with the American University in Cairo (AUC). Project is co-funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the US-Egypt Joint Board for Technology Transfer, In progress, $60K
- Performance Evaluation of Idaho HMA Mixes Using Gyratory Stability, Contract No. KLK482, $166K, Sponsored by Idaho Transportation Department (ITD).Completed February 2007
- Enhancement of the WINFLEX Overlay Design Program, Contract No. Kl-K492, $94 K, Sponsored by Idaho Transportation Department (ITD). Completed Dec. 2006
- Analysis of the Long-Term Pavement Performance Data for the Idaho GPS and SPS Sections. Contract No. KLK481, $77 K, Sponsored by Idaho Transportation Department (ITD). Completed Dec. 2006.
- Organize and Chair the annual Idaho Asphalt Conference
- Cooperative research project with the American University in Cairo (AUC), project funded by the National Science Foundation. Jan 2007 to present
- Engineering Consultant to several organizations in the U.S. and in the Middle East, including Ministry of Public Works (MPW), Kuwait and Ministry of Municipalities and Rural Affairs (MMRA), Saudi Arabia
- Served as “expert witness” for the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) in litigations related to truck overloading and other construction firms in Texas, Washington and Idaho
- International Advisor for the Construction Engineering Department, Zagazig University, Egypt. (2000-2004)
- International Advisor for the Kuwait Journal of Science and Engineering
- Advisor Award for 1st Place Winner, ASCE International Contest on LTPP Data Analysis. Advisee: Hassan Salem (2002)
- Best Paper in Pavement Award. Presented at the International Road Federation (IRF) World Meeting, Toronto, Canada, June 1997 (with Walid Nassar)
- Prospector's Award for Idaho Asphalt Conference, November 1995. Presented by Moscow Chamber of Commerce.