Tony Pickering, Ph.D
Office: PEB 101
Phone: Phone: (208) 885-7921
College of Education
Campus Locations: Physical Education Building (PEB)
Department of Movement Sciences
B.S., University of Oregon, Physical Education (Biomechanics of Sport)
M.S., University of Oregon, Physical Education (Physiology of Sport and Exercise)
MBA, University of Oregon (Management/Data Analysis)
Ph.D., University of Idaho, Education (Sport/Exercise Psychology)
Latent construct measurement. Psychometric and invariance attributes of self-report instruments
Efficacy of mental skills training across sport and non-sport contexts
Methodological approaches to investigating mental skills training via simulation technology
Implicit theory, and the relationships amongst ability belief mindsets, learning effectiveness, and personal values.
- McGraw, L., Granger, D., Out, D., Ohlson, C. Pickering, M.A., & Hammermeister, J. (2013). Nature, Correlates, and Consequences of Stress-related Biological Reactivity and Regulation in Army Nurses during Combat Casualty Simulation, Psychoneuroendocrinology,38(1), 135-144.
- Hammermeister, J.J., Pickering, M.A., McGraw, L. & Ohlson, C.J. (2012). The relationship between sport-related psychological skills and indicators of PTSD among Stryker Brigade Soldiers: The mediating effects of perceived psychological resilience. Journal of Sport Behavior, 35(1), 40-60.
- Plotnikoff, R., Pickering, M., Glenn, N., Doze, S., Reinbold-Matthews, M., McLeod, L., Lau, D., Fick, G., Johnson, S., & Flaman, L. (2011). Reducing cardiovascular disease risk through physical activity counseling and diabetes education in adults with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 8(7), 944-954.
- Pickering, M.A., Hammermeister, J., Ohlson, C., Holliday, B. and Ulmer, G. (2010). An exploratory investigation of relationships among mental skills and resilience in Warrior Transition Unit cadre members. Military Medicine, 175(4), 213-219.
- Plotnikoff, R.C., Pickering, M.A., Rhodes, R.E., Courneya, K. and Spence, J. (2010). A Test of Cognitive Mediation in a 12-month Physical Activity Workplace Intervention: Does it Explain Behavior Change in Women? International Journal of Behavioural Nutrition and Physical Activity, 7(32).
- Pickering, M.A. and Plotnikoff, R.C. (2009). Factor structure and measurement invariance of a 10-item decisional balance scale: Longitudinal and subgroup examination within an adult diabetic sample. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 13(4), 206-226.
Pickering, M.A. & Stolzer, A. (2012). The Enhanced General Aviation Pilot Survey: Refining safety metrics through flight activity self-reports. Project funded for $157,462 by Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center.
- Pickering, M.A., Hammermeister, J., Harada, C., Helms, K., Ryska, T., Smith, S., Ohlson, C., & Burbelo, G. (2011). Soldier Mental Fitness Psychological Construct Development and Validation. Project funded for $1,950,000 by Department of Defense – Defense Medical Research and Development Program (DMRDP) Advanced Technology Development Research Award.
- Pickering, M.A., Stolzer, A. (2010). The General Aviation Pilot Survey (GAPS): Improving Safety Metrics. Project funded for $134,000 by Federal Aviation Administration Technical Center.
- Adler, A., Bliese, P., Hammermeister, J., Pickering, M.A., Harada, C., Bredlow, B., Ohlson, C., Holliday, B., McGurk, D., & Csoka, L. (2009). Basic Training and Mental Fitness Study: Enhancing Performance and Mental Health. Project funded for $3,495,000 by Walter Reed Army Institute for Research.
- Schneider,W., Schunn, C., Huppert, T., Tokowicz, N., Moss, J., and Pickering, M.A. (2009). Biologically Accelerated Learning Technology (BALT) Phase II. Project funded for $250,000 by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA).
- McGraw, L., Hammermeister, J., Pickering, M.A., & Ohlson, C. (2009) Performance of Novice Army Nurses in a Combat Casualty Stress Scenario. Project funded for $89,925 by The Geneva Foundation - TriService Nursing Research Program.