Philip W. Scruggs, PhD
College of Education
Campus Locations: Moscow
Department of Movement Sciences
With UI Since 2008
PhD University of Utah Exercise and Sport Science 2001
MS University of Wyoming Kinesiology & Health 1996
BA University of Texas - Arlington Exercise & Sport Studies 1994
Physical Activity Assessment
- Scruggs PW, Mungen JD, Oh Y. Accuracy of Pedometer Assessed Steps/Min and Activity Time in High School Physical Education. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci 2010;14:151-163.
- Scruggs PW, Mungen JD, Oh Y. Quantifying Moderate to Vigorous Physical Activity in High School Physical Education: A Pedometer Steps/min Standard. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci 2010;14:104-115.
- Scruggs PW. A comparative analysis of pedometry in measuring physical activity of children. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2007;39:1837-1846.
- Scruggs PW. Middle school physical education physical activity quantification: A pedometer steps/min guideline. Res Q Exerc Sport 2007;78:284-292.
- Scruggs PW. Quantifying activity time via pedometry in fifth- & sixth-grade physical education. J Phys Act Health 2007;4:215-227.
- Scruggs PW, Beveridge SK, Clocksin BD. Tri-axial accelerometry & heart rate telemetry: Relation & agreement with behavioral observation in elementary physical education. Meas Phys Educ Exerc Sci 2005;9:203-218.
- Scruggs PW, Beveridge SK, Watson DL, Clocksin BD. Quantifying Physical Activity in First- through Fourth-Grade Physical Education via Pedometry. Res Q Exerc Sport 2005;76:166-175.
- Scruggs, P. W., Goc Karp, G., Paul, D. R., Brown, H. F., Vella, C. A., & Davis, C. A. Statewide Surveillance of Physical Education Quantity and Quality in Idaho.
- Kern, A., Brown, H., Scruggs, P., Goc Karp, G. & Houge MacKenzie, S. The Paddle-Bike the Coeur d’Alene Watershed (PBW) project.
- Scruggs, P. W., Paul, D. R., Goc Karp, G., Brown, H., Vella, C.A., & Davis, C.A. Statewide Prevalence and Correlates of Physical Education Physical Activity in Idaho.
- Walktober; Moscow, Idaho, USA; Moscow School District Employee Wellness - Pedometer Steps/Day Challenge; Fall 2009, 2010, 2011
- Let's Move Moscow; Moscow, Idaho, USA; Moscow School District Employee Wellness - Pedometer Steps/Day Challenge; Spring 2009, 2010, 2011
- AAHPERD Research Consortium Fellow, 2008