Grace Goc Karp
College of Education
Campus Locations: Moscow
Department of Movement Sciences
Program Coordinator, Physical Education
Ph.D. Sport Pedagogy, University of Idaho, 1985
M.S. Physical Education, University of Idaho, 1981
B.Ed. (Honors), Physical Education, Aesthetics, University of Sussex, England, 1976
B.Ed. Physical Education, Biology, Chelsea School of Human Movement, England, 1975
Physical Education Teacher Education
Assessment in Physical Education
School to Community Physical Activity Enrichment
- Wiggins, L. Goc Karp, G. (2013). Creating successful activity programs for middle school girls. Journal of Kinesiology and Wellness, http://wskw.org/publication/2013/creating-successful-activity- programs-middle-school-girls
- McPhail, A., Tannehill, D., & Goc Karp, G. (2013). Preparing physical education pre-service teachers to design instructionally aligned lessons through constructivist pedagogical practices. Teaching and Teacher Education, 33(0), 100-112.
- Pelchat, C. R., & Goc Karp, G. (2012). Using critical action research to enhance outdoor adventure education instructional practice. Journal of Outdoor Recreation, Education, and Leadership, 4(3), 199–219. http://dx.doi.org/10.7768/1948-5123.1125
- Woods, M., Goc Karp, G., & Judd, M. (2011). Search chair and physical education teacher perceptions about filling PETE positions. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 20(2), 129-14.
- Perlman, D. & Goc Karp, G. (2010). A Self-Determined Perspective of the Sport Education Model. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy. 15(4), 401-418.
- Liu, H., & Goc Karp, G., & Davis, D. (2010) Teaching Kindergarten Learning-Related Social Skills through a Modified Teaching Personal and Social Responsibility Model. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation and Dance 81(6), 38-46.
- Goc Karp, G., & Woods, M.L. (2008). PTs Perceptions about Assessment and its Implementation. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 27(3), 327-346.
- Perlman, D., and Goc Karp, G. (2007). Using TARGET to enhance pre-service teachers’ ability to identify and develop a motivational climate. Physical Educator, 64(2), 102-112.
- Brown, H., Goc Karp, G., Scruggs, P., Paul, D., Vella, C., Son, J., & Houge Mackenzie, S. (2013). HEAL- Healthy Eating and Active Living, Blue Cross of Idaho, Foundation for Health, Inc. May, 2013. $50,000.00. Funded.
- Brown, H., & Goc Karp, G., & Coeur d’Alene Tribe. (2012). Partners in Preventing Health Issues through Transformation (PHITT). U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. $61,020.54 Funded
- Kern, A., Brown, H., Scruggs, P., Goc Karp, G. & Houge MacKenzie, S. The Paddle-Bike the Coeur d’Alene Watershed (PBW) project. (2012). College of Education Innovative Grant. $11,992.00. Funded.
- Scruggs, P. W., Goc Karp, G., Paul, D. R., Brown, H. F., & Vella, C. A. (2011). Statewide Surveillance of Physical Education Quantity and Quality in Idaho. Idaho State Department of Education Coordinated School Health Program. $10,900. Funded.
- Scruggs, P. W., Paul, D. R., Goc Karp, G., & Brown, H. (2010). Statewide Prevalence and Correlates of Physical Education Physical Activity in Idaho. Idaho State Department of Education Coordinated School Health Program. $17,000. Funded.
- Goc Karp, G., Brown, H., Scruggs, P.W., Grindley, E., Gilmore, D., Canfield-Davis, K, & Jain, S. Partners for Healthy Lifestyles in Schools and Communities (PHALSC), (2010). College of Education Innovative Grant, $10,000.00. Funded.
• Safe Routes to School Project with the Moscow School District, City of Moscow, and Dept.of Movement Sciences. 2007-13. Total Funding $461,568.00 (Infrastructure and Education). Education component $103,134.00. Students and faculty deliver and promote safe walking and bike education
• Idaho AfterSchool Task Force working on statewide coalition & standards for nutrition and physical activity programming.
• Physical Activity Assessment of Plummer-Worley Schools and community
• Moscow School District. Students and faculty deliver Wellness Activities and students develop monthly newsletter MSD Pulse.
• City of Moscow, Active Living Task Force 'I' Count activities focusing on walking and biking participation in the community.
• Healthy Eating and Active Living (HEAL). Statewide collaborative initiative to identify strategies to promote healthy eating and active living to prevent overweight and obesity.
• 2013 University of Idaho Outreach Excellence Award
• 2013 Distinguished Service Award, Idaho Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
• 2012 Certificate of Recognition in School Health, SDE Coordinator, State of Idaho.
• 2012, 2005 Alumni Award for Excellence, University of Idaho
• 2005 College Educator of the Year, Idaho Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance
• 2004 University of Idaho Teaching Excellence Award
• 2004 Northwest District American Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance College/University Professional of the Year