Chantal Vella, Ph.D.
College of Education
Campus Locations: Moscow
Department of Movement Sciences
Associate Professor, Director Exercise Physiology Laboratory
With UI Since 2011
PhD, University of New Mexico, Exercise Science
MS, California Polytechnic State University, Kinesiology & Exercise Science
BS, California Polytechnic State University, Nutritional Science
Behavioral factors associated with metabolic and cardiovascular disease risk factors in young adult women
Effects of obesity on cardiovascular function
Changes in the metabolic profile of Grizzly Bears across the seasons
Effects of diet and changes in body fat on inflammatory markers in Grizzly Bears
- Vella CA, Burgos-Monzon X, Ellis CJ, Zubia RY, Ontiveros D, Reyes H, Lozano C. Associations of insulin resistance with cardiovascular risk factors and inflammatory cytokines in normal-weight, Hispanic women. Under Review, Diabetes Care.
- Vella CA, Paul D, Bader J. Cardiac response to exercise in normal-weight and obese men and women: implications for exercise prescription, Acta Physiologica 2012; 205:113-123.
- Vella CA, Ontiveros D, Zubia RY, Dalleck L., Physical activity recommendations and cardiovascular disease risk factors in young Hispanic women, Journal of Sports Sciences 2011a; 29(1):37-45.
- Vella CA, Ontiveros D, Zubia RY, and Bader JO. Acculturation and metabolic syndrome risk factors in young Hispanic women, Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2011b;13(1):119-26.
- Vella CA, Ontiveros D, Zubia RY. Cardiac function and arteriovenous oxygen difference during exercise in obese adults, European Journal of Applied Physiology 2011c;111(6):915-23.
- University of Idaho Seed Grant, PI Vella, Physical Inactivity, Inflammation, and Metabolic Syndrome risk factors in Young Women, $12,000 (2011-2012)
- 3SC2DK083061-02S1, National Institutes of Health, NIDDK American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Supplemental Grant Program, PI Vella, Supplement to Characteristics of Metabolically Obese but Normal-weight Hispanic Women, $99,225 (2009-2011)
- 1SC2DK083061-01, National Institutes of Health, NIDDK Pilot Grant Program, PI Vella, Characteristics of Metabolically Obese but Normal-weight Hispanic Women, $333,000 (2008-2011)
- Paso del Norte Health Foundation, Center for Border Health Research, PI Vella, Metabolic Syndrome in Young Normal-Weight Hispanic Women, $75,000 (2008-2009)
- Paso del Norte Health Foundation, Center for Border Health Research, PI Vella, insulin Resistance and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Overweight Hispanic Adolescents, $75,000 (2009)
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) Minority Access to Research Careers Conference Travel Award, 2010
Outstanding Performance for Securing Extramural Funding, University of Texas at El Paso, 2009
Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) Minority Access to Research Careers Conference Travel Award, 2009
Endocrinology Scholar Award, American Federation for Medical Research, Western Regional Conference, 2006