Employment of rehabilitation counselors is expected to grow by 28 percent from 2010-20, faster than the average for all occupations.
From 2010-20, expected employment growth of rehabilitation counselors in the top employing industries is as follows: Individual and family services (67%), Vocational rehabilitation services (30%), Nursing and residential care facilities (24%), Local government, excluding education and hospitals (9%), and State government, excluding education and hospitals (4%), according to
Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2012-13 Edition, Rehabilitation Counselors
Practice Settings for Graduates of the Program
Public Rehabilitation Counseling Agencies:
- The Idaho Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
- The Idaho Industrial Commission
- The Idaho Commission of Blind and Visually Impaired
- Department of Veterans’ Affairs
- Disability service programs within higher education.
Private Sector Programs:
- Community rehabilitation programs,
- Worker’s compensation and insurance companies,
- Traumatic brain injury programs,
- Rehabilitation hospitals,
- Substance abuse programs,
- Community mental health agencies,
- Community-based correction programs.
You can also begin a private practice of your own.