Paul Gathercoal, Ph.D.
College of Education
Curriculum and Instruction
Professor & Chair
Campus Locations: Moscow | Coeur d'Alene
With UI Since 2008
Ph.D. University of Oregon 1990
M.Ed. University of Oregon 1974
B.S.Ed. Southern Oregon College 1971
Webfolios in education and teaching and learning at a distance
Neuroscience, behavior and cognition
Research on the implementation of Judicious Discipline in schools
Effects of violent media messages on individuals and society
Service learning and innovative technologies
Metacognitive and metalinguistic links between media literacy and reading comprehension
Paul Gathercoal is Professor & Chair, of the Curriculum and Instruction Department in the College of Education at the University of Idaho in Moscow, Idaho. Previously he served as professor and program director for curriculum & instruction, educational technology, and assessment in the School of Education at California Lutheran University. Before earning his Ph.D. in curriculum and instruction from the University of Oregon, Gathercoal taught in public schools in Oregon and South Australia and served as a State-wide curriculum consultant in the area of Media Studies. He has been in teacher education and preparation for the last thirty years, teaching at Flinders University, Sturt Campus, in Adelaide, South Australia, the University of Oregon, Gustavus Adolphus College, in St. Peter, Minnesota; and, California Lutheran University, in Thousand Oaks, California.
- Gathercoal, P. (2008). Class Meetings. In B. Landau (Ed.), Practicing judicious discipline: An educator's guide to a democratic classroom (4th ed.) San Francisco: Caddo Gap Press.
- Gathercoal, P. & Gathercoal, F. (2007). The judicious professor. San Francisco: Caddo Gap Press.
- Love, D., McKean, G. & Gathercoal, P. (2004). Portfolios to webfolios and beyond: Levels of maturation. Educause Quarterly, 27(2) 24-37.
- Gathercoal, P., Love, D., & McKean, G. (2003). ProfPort webfolio system: Implementation, curriculum and assessment. Paper presented at the 2003 Educause Annual Conference: Balancing Opportunities, Expectations, and Resources, in Anaheim, California, USA. http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/EDU0329.pdf
- Karayan, S. & Gathercoal, P. (2003). Service-learning: Empowering students with special needs. Academic Exchange Quarterly. 7(2) 151-157.