Mrs. Monica R. Hansen
College of Education
Campus Locations: online
University of Idaho, College of Education, Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Instructor, Teaching Assistant
With UI Since 2009
M. Ed. Curriculum and Instruction, University of Idaho, College of Education, Coeur d' Alene, ID. 2008, B.A Secondary Education- English 1994, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY.
Writing development and assessment, learning sciences, models of memory, cognition for language, cognitive neuroscience, reflexive teaching and learning, educational psychology, Vygotskian theory, multimodal writing, arts in education, service learning
Monica Hansen is a doctoral candidate with the University of Idaho’s College of Education where she teaches courses in Children's Literature, Literacy Assessment, and Linguistics, Literacy, and Brain Function. She has worked as a classroom teacher (Pre-12) in Wyoming, Colorado, and Idaho. Her research interests include Cultural Historical Activity Theory, language and literacy development, cognitive neuroscience, and learning sciences with a specialization in the processes of written composition.
- Hansen, M. Voices of university women on feminism: Constructing a qualitative understanding through poetry. 7th Annual Globalization, Diversity and Education Conference. Paper Presentation. Feb. 25, 2011.
- Hansen, M. & Major, C. Student writing and reflection in educational partnerships: Constructing the Outdoor Idaho History Museum. Northwest Rocky Mountain Educational Researchers Association 2010 Conference. Paper Presentation. Big Sky, MT. Oct. 1, 2010.
- Duvall, E., Hansen, M., Major, C., Kern, A., Muthersbaugh, D., & Baker, K.. (May, 2010). Partner School Initiative – a service-learning model for teacher education. In M. Hansen (Chair) Not another brick in the wall: The transformative ecologies of higher education within and outside the university. Symposium conducted at American Educational Researchers Association annual Meeting. Denver, CO.
- Duvall, E., Ballard, G., & Hansen, M. Maverick unity: Building community through poetry. 9th Annual Curriculum and Pedagogy Conference. Decatur, GA. October 22-25, 2008.
- Hansen, M. (September, 2008). Vygotsky as point of refraction: Dispersing variant conceptions of early literacy with pre-primary teachers. Poster presentation at 2nd Annual Congress: International Society for Cultural and Activity Research. San Diego, CA.
- Image of the Child: NIC Children’s Center’s Photography Project. Project Coordinator. Public exhibition of young children’s fine art photography with accompanying documentation of learning stories. Traveling 2008-2009.
- Hansen, M. The power of documentation: Imagining education for our children. Opening address. Image of the Child photography exhibit. Coeur d’Alene Public Library. Delivered April 20, 2008.
- Hansen, M. Literacy in the classroom: Using the lens of Vygotskian theory to think about the role of the teacher in language development. North Idaho College Children’s Center Training. October 30, 2007.
- Hansen, M. Scaffolding literacy development in infant/toddler classrooms. North Idaho Association for the Education of Young Children 2007 Early Childhood Conference. October 27, 2007.
- Carol F. Stewart Education Scholarship. 2011-2012